Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sudden improvement?

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
My DH has Vascular Dementia (they labeled him mixed) and he had gotten to where he only drank a little and would only eat a couple of bites.  Last Thursday all the sudden he started eating and drinking.  He also wanted to get out of bed and wanted to get in the wheelchair and come into the living room.  He still doesn't want to watch TV or carry on a conversation.  How long does this surge last?  Has anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello LGW.  My DW has VD as well as mixed.  Her decline has been consistently in steps closer and closer together.  Now every week or 10 days and there's a small noticeable decline.  During her years there has been ups and downs following a step down, but never any as dramatic as you're seeing.  

Of course every day is a new day for her.  After being incontinent for a year tonight she got out of bed after 30 minutes to go to the bathroom because her "depends" were soaked.   For the last year she has been oblivious to her need to urinate.  Her eating during the last month has gone from miniscule amounts to rather normal sized meals and back again.  

Her BP, previously steady, is now spiking every day from very high to abnormally low and back again.   It does not seem to have any impact on her demeanor. 

It's an unpredictable disease which frustrates me considerably.  Good luck with your DH.  Rick 

• Lgw
    Thanks Rick.  The unpredictable nature of this disease is so maddening.  Hospice said he could not be left alone now because of the fear he will get out of bed and fall.  He can't stand on his own.  I get bored and depressed. I feel trapped.  I used to work just to escape but now I stay here.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Lgw-

My aunt did this. She was initially diagnosed with VD in 2008 but we suspect she had significant symptoms as early as 2003 when her husband died unexpectedly. Her progression was a series of long plateaus followed by a decline until around 2014 when her gerontologist added an Alzheimer's diagnosis as well. 

In the last 3 years of her life, she went through a several incidences where she would become less responsive, sleep more and eat very little (maybe part of a soft cake and a little tea daily) for a week or two and then bounce back to her previous baseline as if nothing had happened. 

HB
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Early in her journey, my wife forgot that we were married. That lasted for years. Then she knew that we were married and that lasted for years. Not I don't know if she knows it or not. For two years she tried to go "home" every day, several times a day. Now she no longer even mentions it. Symptoms can come and symptom can go and sometimes they just change course. It's impossible to know what will happen next.
  • Lgw
    nothing is easy about this disease.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    We saw some big improvements after changing/adding medications. The improvements have lasted for about 10 months so far. I care for my husband at home.
  • Lgw
    Hospice to my DH off his brain pills as they were no longer doing any good.  They also took him off his vitamins... Well that made since.  I am all over this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more