Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Denial(6)

Our LO feels that he is getting better and doesn't need to see a doctor.  Denies all symptoms.  Any ideas on how to handle this or what to say.  We don't want to discourage him but he is clearly not better.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, Ed's post is spot on.  About 70% of people with dementia have this to one degree or another.  You have to learn to work around it, which is not easy.  My partner is in memory care and still think's she's fine, most of the time.

You should have him medically evaluated, though; there are some things that can mimic dementia and are treatable, you don't want to miss those.  You may have to make an excuse like telling him an appointment is required or he'll lose his insurance/Medicare.  Let the doc know your concerns, in writing, ahead of time.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    M1 - would you please expand on the things which can mimic dementia/Alzheimer's? Or message me personally? When all of this with my DH first started, and it's been more than just a couple years, I was tracking our diet and vitamins/ supplements. I was thinking there had to be a deficiency somewhere for what all was going on. To this day I believe that much is tied directly to nutrition. He's in complete denial that anything is wrong and can pull off acting normal for short periods of time. I'm with him 24/7/365 and believe me, there are many boxes he checks for dementia/Alzheimer's. I've spent many hours researching what else it could be so I could use the correct approach, deal with ______ the right way. Thank you in advance.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There are so many, he likely won't be able to list them all here. Here's a partial list for you.

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/reversible-conditions-that-can-be-mistaken-for-dementia-476370.htm  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more