Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Beginning to see …

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
Last few weeks or maybe more I’ve seen a decline in DH short term memory ! Went for lunch today, a treat for sure, to a place we have been many time before and he has always enjoyed! We sit down, looking at the menu, and DH says to me I’ve never been here I hope it’s good. I didn’t say anything. After getting our lunch he said oh this place is nice I’ve never been here good choice! How does one handle this? I just kept quiet although I wanted to say we’ve been several times. I did tear up but held it together.

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Typical really. I took my DW today to the place we always used to go for our anniversary, Valentines and other special occasions. Same response, brand new place as far as she was concerned. Nothing much you can do. I just reminded her that we are married and we used to come here a lot. She just smiled and said "Really? I'm glad, you're such a good man!"
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My HWD insists that he has been to places we

have never been to. He will tell the wait staff he has been

there dozens of times even if it’s a brand new place. I used to correct 

him but now I just ignore it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avarachen
    Avarachen Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Wondering if anyone else sees this.  My husband forgets that he just had his breakfast and when he sees food he says he's hungry. I tell him that he has a huge breakfast just 15 mins ago and he denies it saying that it was yesterday.  He says he is hungry. So I give him something to eat and he finishes it all. He seems to be constantly hungry.  He never used to be like this before he got this horrible disease.  Problem is that he is diabetic and I need to be so careful  How do you handle something like this.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I give my husband three meals a day. As soon as he has finished his meal, he asks me where his breakfast, lunch or dinner is. I give him the same thing for lunch daily, right after he finishes, he asks for lunch. I just say, you just ate your lunch.

I hate to say this, you have to hide the food. I store all the food in the basement, I have a fridge down there as well. 

Because your husband is diabetic, you are going to have to keep the food hidden. Dole it out as you see fit. You will have to be firm. It is hard, I wish you the best.

• RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    JC5 I think you did just fine….my husbands short term memory has severely declined since his diagnosis in 2018 and learning how to respond takes practice. At least it has for me. If I can remember to take a breath and get myself centered I can can come from a place of compassion and love. It’s not always easy but when I do that its best for both of us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more