Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory Care Roller Coaster

DH is going into  his fifth week of out of home care in a licensed elder care family home. It is not really memory care, but the owner and staff have extensive experience with dementia residents. DH is very gradually settling in, but it has been sort of a roller coaster ride and I have never liked roller coasters. The second night there DH got out of bed and wandered into someone else's room looking for me. Hospice supplied a bed with rails, and the night caregiver has a roll away cot that he sleeps on in DH's room to quiet him when he wakes at night. DH finally slept through the night one time this past week.  In one breath he says he's in jail, he can't stand being there, he's going crazy there, and in the next breath he says how nice the caregivers are and how good the food is. Last Sunday morning he called me ranting and raving about being kidnapped and that he slapped the caregiver. Actually, he kicked the caregiver.  That night we celebrated our 64th wedding anniversary with pizza for everyone supplied by me and a cake supplied by the owner of the facility. It was like one big family and DH joined in the conversation. DH thought he was going to be going home with me that night and called me     wanting to know how he was going to get to work the next day.  I visit him daily and very slowly he seems to be acclimating more and more to living out of our home. He announce he guessed he'd just be there until he dies which he would have liked to have been yesterday.  I have told the staff they can call me for DH whenever he wants to talk with me as that seems to reassure him and settle him down. I think the sense of loss of control is really hard for him, but the daily calls are getting really hard for me.  Today was the first day with out a phone call. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I agree with your views about a roller coaster. I think that's one of the hardest things with this disease. You just never know what to expect.

Happy anniversary to you and DH. We made 64 years too, but unfortunately she wasn't around for our 65th.

I wish I could add to Victoria's post, but I think she just about covered it all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more