Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospice(18)

Unfortunately, my dh has qualified for Hospice and yesterday we started. I could not believe all the help that is available. I will still have all my caregivers as I can not longer get Jerry up in the morning and down in the evening without help. Some of the expenses that I have paid for the last number of years is now under medicare. Medication etc. Medicare does not pay for caregivers as you all know but am happy with the offset of wheel chair, supplies etc. My goal is to keep him home until the end...but have some options just in case I cannot do this. This is a sas journey, but I am grateful for what is available. Thank you for listening!

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Cherjer sorry your husband is now on hospice but so glad you are getting all the support and supplies. Best wishes for you and your dh.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Oh Cherjer, that’s a milestone for sure. I imagine that brings up conflicting emotions. May the next segment of your journey go smoothly. Hang in there and let us know how it’s going. I learn so much from other people’s experiences.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Cherjer, you have to look at the positive side of that. That doesn't mean the end is near. It means you can now get help with a ton of things that you might have struggled with before. I'm glad you are getting the help.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank you for your support!
  • piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Cherjer, Hospice was a real big help for me as I had no family nor friends when we moved here.  Hospice helped me as well with grieving for a year after DH's death.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cherjer,

I hope having Hospice on board eases your caregiving burdens.  I admire your tenacity in caring for your DH at home.  I thought that I would keep DH at home, but I didn’t.  There has been some “light discussion “ of involving Hospice at his MCF.  I hate where this is going.  

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Cherjer, it is really good to hear that you are getting more support and assistance, this will be a wonderful help.   From experience, I know it is not easy signing over to Hospice, but as sad as the heart can feel, it is also on the other side, a very real blessing in many ways.

You have been such a geat carer and are also a wonderful advocate for Jerry.  Please let us know how you are doing and how things are going; we certainly will be thinking of you. ,

With warmest of thoughts being sent your way,

J.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you all so much for your replies and yes I will update on how everything is going. 

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

You are so right about the many advantages of being in hospice care. I chose Sil erado Hospice on the advice of his physician, and DH had their services for a year before he passed away last month. When the end came, they collected all equipment that day and it was such a relief to have everything tidied up before I could even think of doing it. 

While the decision to enter hospice was stressful, it was obvious immediately that it was the right choice. I was amazed at all the benefits provided through Medicare: a hospital bed was delivered the very first day, a wheelchair, his medications, nurse visits, bathers, oxygen, and much more. It seemed like every need was instantly met, and a nurse was a phone call away.

I, like you, had no idea it could be so helpful. I hope others will consider the benefits and not let the term "hospice" be a deterrent. It was definitely not a death watch as some think of it, but rather a group of people helping through a very difficult time. I cannot recommend it enough.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more