Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Phantom Family

I just finished a book about a double amputee. There was a reference to «phantom limb,» the condition where amputees still feel sensations in the missing limb. I was struck by the thought that as I walk around my home, living alone for the first time in my 76 years, I have «phantom family.» Sometimes I hear a noise and assume it’s my husband, who has been in a skilled nursing facility for nine months. I sometimes recall my kids in their bedrooms but they left home ages ago. And I’m still checking to see where my beagle is. She died of cancer in October. I’m still closing doors for privacy that I already have and don’t need. I know this sounds maudlin, and I’m really OK, but I’m wondering if this is a common phenomenon.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I like the phrase Paris. I do the same things. I like some of the newfound freedoms of living solo-no thermostat wars, no reloading the dishwasher because she did it differently, no changing the window shades or the light settings.  But her ghost is everywhere.   A phantom presence.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good analogy
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Paris I like your analogy. My dh is still home but he’s not here. Sometimes I want to ask him to help me do something I have a very hard time physically doing, but he can’t even get his underwear on. He is here but I’m alone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more