Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My DH suffered a massive stroke and passed away

I am numb and shattered. Not too long ago I wrote in this forum that I could not contribute often because my DH was shadowing me all the time, asking what I was doing and following me everywhere I went. Now I am ALONE……the love of my life is gone forever, I have all the time in the world to myself, what irony!

Doctors told me Seroquel could not have caused it. A small artery in his brain burst leaving a huge hematoma that left him without speech and his right side paralyzed. After a traumatic stay in the intensive care unit, they told us that he needed a feeding tube in order to start rehab because he couldn’t swallow. My DH and I had signed a Living Will that directs his life not be extended by life-sustaining procedures, including the administration of nutrition and hydration if he had an end-stage condition. After talking to our lawyer and doctor he was transferred to hospice and passed away 9 days after. 

On the day my DH suffered the stroke, we had taken a 2 1/2 mile walk, he was active, still loved to hit tennis balls with the pro, enjoyed sunsets, sitting by the fire, walking the beach….in a second he was paralyzed and unable to do or say anything! My friends say it was a blessing in disguise because he avoided the very hard final years of Alzheimer’s ( he was in stage 6), but am struggling with guilt and loneliness.

Comments

• RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi Stella,

I had this same experience with my father.  For what it's worth, I understand those 9 days very well, and I understand the doubt, and strength, and the challenges to the decision, and the resolution required.  And of course, those 9 very long days in the hospice facility.

Of course, my condolences on your loss.  In addition, my appreciation of your strength and the very good thing you did for your husband.  I had some doubters, but his brother, my uncle, who cared for his wife with Alzheimer's for decades, could not stop telling me that this was 100% the right thing.  It is. Please be kind to yourself.  Guilt is a racket.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dearest Stella Luna, I am so very sorry for your heartbreak at the loss of your beloved husband; what an unexpected  and shocking thing to have happen.

You have done so well and right to the very end you were his valiant advocate making hard but loving decisions that were best for him.

When your are up to it, please let us know how you are; may strength, solace and peace find and embrace you.

With a soft hug being sent your way,

J.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Stella, my condolences. You took such good care of your DH right up to the end, ending with honoring his wishes for end of life care. That is such a loving thing to do for him. Take care.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stella, I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband.  He was active until the end.  That does not sound bad to me.  My dad died of a sudden massive stroke also.  

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Stella I’m so sorry for your loss of dear husband.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Stella, My sincere condolences for the sudden loss of you husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Stella I too am sorry for your loss.  Sounds like you handled everything very well, so glad your living wills were in order.  Peace to you as this new stage of life progresses.  I hope when I get where you are, the pain of these last few years will fade and that the happy memories will predominate in time.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Stella I am sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for your husband. I hope and pray you will have strength and peace in your heart knowing you did everything you could for your husband. Prayers for you and your family. Take care of yourself now.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Stella so sorry for your loss. No words I can say will heal the hurt you feel. You were a great caregiver and you followed the directions your dh wanted. I haven't had to walk that path, but none of us knows what will be. I will be praying for you.
  • Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Stella Luna, 

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. I hope if/when the time comes I can follow your brave example. My DH, also a very keen shadower, has requested the same. Thank you for sharing and may you find peace in your heart knowing that he is at peace and completely healed. ((Hugs))

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    The last day when he had the stroke, he was still active and enjoying himself. You were doing for him what he liked. I know you are feeling  a loss now but that will change. You will let the ending fade away in time and remember the good times you had before. I'm going thru that now and it does get easier. Yes we still tear up ever so often when we really miss them. It's only right that we do.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Stella, I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your DH.

I know how hard it was to make that final decision, as we had to do that for my Dad.  

I hope that the good memories of your time together will help as you move forward.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am so sorry Stella, it just came so suddenly.  No one knows how things will happen.  You were a wonderful advocate for you DH, and I wish you comfort during this very hard adjustment period.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of comfort. Yes it was hard to let him go, but it was harder to see him struggling to get out of bed and regain his independence.

All of you are my true heroes, taking care of your loved ones day in day out, navigating the mood swings and behavioral changes that come with this horrible disease and never giving up.

I am left with memories of happy moments we had every day in spite of his disease. May God bless you and keep you strong. I will visit this forum and hope that my advice will lighten the load you carry every day.

Hugs to all of you.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Stella, I am truly sorry for your loss. My husband has also been on Seroquel because of his aggressive behavior. It definitely has helped moderate his symptoms but he had a stroke in May. Now he’s in a skilled nursing facility and has no idea that he’s paralyzed on his right side. I remember hesitating at first about Seroquel. I questioned the neurologist about the possibility of stroke. All he could say was that’s all they had so I agreed to give it to DH. With this disease we’re often damned if we do and damned if we don’t. May the memories of your husband become a blessing.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Stella I am so sorry to read about the loss of your beloved DH. Yes I'm certain that you are in shock and numb.

I am hoping that in the days to come you will find a peace in all of your loving memories.

eagle

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Stella Luna, I am so sorry about the loss of your husband. Please know that I’m holding you close in prayer.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Stella, I'm so sorry. I wish you strength in the coming days.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Stella, I'm so sorry for your loss. He is at peace now. Don't feel guilty. I pray you have peace and strength through this difficult time.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    I am deeply sorry for your loss, while at the same time so envious of the quick, passing of your LO. I so very much envy such announcements. I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead. (Apologies if I sound twisted in my thinking, but I long for the day I can do the same. DH is not living, but living in hell. He's lost all ability to feel happiness or enjoyment of anything. Won't even step out of the house for a brief moment of sunshine and fresh air. Fear grips him like a talon from the deep bowels of hell. There's no escaping this cruel vile disease except death.)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more