Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I’m back

hi everyone,

Sorry I have been keeping radio silence. A lot has transpired.

First of all, my mother who is turning 90, has been hospitalized with four different infections. She is now on the mend but the progress is very slow and incremental. My brother and I have been feeding her cats and visiting her on a regular basis.

The geriatric psychiatrist visited my husband and he upped his meds to six trazadone tablets daily. This has helped somewhat and I can wash his feet now. He still stinks to high heaven and I have been doing laundry when the electricity rates drop after 7 pm. 

The geriatric psychiatrist will be coming back in three weeks to reassess and they are going to try and get behavioural support so they can do an emergency admission of placement. The psychiatrist added that he thinks my husband also has frontal temporal lobe dementia because of his eating everything he can get his hands on. He also was quite alarmed at the speedy progression of the disease.

There are fewer episodes of peeing on the floor and poo left about. A relief.

Finally he screeches like a banshee, makes propeller sounds as well as biting himself. I admit the propeller sounds intrigue me, but I have learned to ignore these outbursts as I don’t want to encourage him. 

I do feel better, but I really would give my eye teeth for a full uninterrupted night of sleep.

Comments

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Buggsroo - you answered a question for me. I've been wondering about the strange noises and if this was common. Evidently they are. Here I've been thinking that I have a drama king on my hands. My DH loves to drama play with belching and expelling gas, add in voices...dramatized of course and simple talk and songs. Not a whole lot of it makes much sense and if I ask him why he's doing it, he tells me that he's just working on me. This usually occurs with the sundowning. 

About the lack of sleep, got a guest room? Go to it. You have got to get good rest, how else can you take care of your DH, your mom and her cats?!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    good to hear from you but sorry for the added stress.  Wish they didn't have to wait, for both of your sakes.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo very good to hear from you. I have thought of you often and wondered how you were doing.So sorry about your mom but glad she is getting better. Nice that you get to see your brother. So glad you are finally getting some help but wish , but 3 weeks is a long time for what you are going through. Hope the new meds will help. I hope you are taking care of yourself. Don’t know how you are still working with the “sounds “ for the background!  Please take care of yourself. Prayers for you and your partner.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo I am glad to read your update, glad your mom is recovering and the fur babies are being cared for. Praying for the help that is needed and the placement.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more