Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Young onset Alzheimer’s

My husband 59 yrs old got diagnosed with EOA 2 yrs back, I do see a slow decline in him.

I’m in NJ.. any resources available here to keep him and busy and caregiving help. 

I’m lost and depressed. 

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello sawn and a very warm welcome to you.  I am sorry for what is happening and can well understand the feelings accompanying this loss.

I would like to make a suggestion.  You have landed on a Forum that does not get much input; if you would go to the Spousal/Partner Forum and place your Post, you will get much more responsive input with much experiential wisdom.  It is a very friendly place.

Hope to see you there,

J.

• Amy Joy
    Amy Joy Member Posts: 90
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi Sawn!

Welcome!

I hope you are doing well.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband.

How’s your husband doing?

59 is young to find out you have dementia.

We are all here for each and give support.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    What was his profession?
  • sawn
    sawn Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

He was a computer research scientist. He was super sharp and phd

• sawn
    sawn Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Thank you all.. I’m taking one day at a time.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks for the information. The reason I asked is I knew a lawyer who had it and had not told anyone yet. I was just wondering if that was him.
  • Miguels daughter
    Miguels daughter Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Hi there. My name is Marianna. I have the EPO4 gene, a gift from my father who I watched decline and die with Alzheimers. I have begun to have foggy days where I feel confused and unable to function in my normal way. I teach in a university so this has really made me look at retiring. I am sad, but determined to be prepared for more changes. I thought I could connect with others in my situation. Wondering what you feel in your brain.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Marianna.  You are a professor, so you probably deal with a lot of stress and anxiety.  Do you feel foggy when you are not under stress?  Pershaps you need a break.  It is a good idea to check with your doctor for treatable dementia mimics.  Also check any medications that you take because many can affect memory as a side effect.  Also check for sleep apnea.   With one positive APOe4 gene, you have an increased chance of developing Alzheimer's Disease, but it is not certain.

Are you of retirement age? You may want to do all of your medical testing before you retire.  You may want to review your employee benefits first.  Check your medical plan after retirement.  Don't retire without good advice.

Iris L.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney