Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset Alzheimer’s

My husband got diagnosed with EOA 2 yrs back, I do see a slow decline in him.

I’m in NJ.. any resources available here to keep him and busy and caregiving help. 

I’m lost and depressed. 

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sawn, The first priority is to care for *you.*

You know, put on your own oxygen first, and all that, but seriously you are the linchpin that holds everything together. If you sink so does he.

There may be no cure for his diagnosis, but it does not have to take you down, and it can. So please seek first resources for you. Click on Contact Us in the upper right and call the Alzheimer's Association. Ask about in-person or virtual support groups. Consider talking to a counselor if you can afford it.

And the last most important thing: contact a CELA and get paperwork in order--durable power of attorney for healthcare (part of an advance directive package), durable power of attorney (for everything else).

• ladypeewee
    ladypeewee Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Sawn I know how you feel . My husband got his Alzheimer's results back in 2014 and it has been a slow progression for the last 8 years. For the most part he is still himself as far as going to the bathroom by himself. feeding himself, dressing himself. His problems are he can't remember anything he says or was said to him. he talks in his sleep wakes up confused about where he is sleeping or whose house hes in. can't find the bathroom at night so I have to show him. However during the day time he is fine to find the bathroom. or the kitchen. But he follows me around and is talking to me all the time. We can't watch tv together cause he is always talking . He no longer drives, doesn't take baths unless I make him. won't shave. I now have to take him to the babershop. He changes his clothes like 10 times a day but he only puts on the same two pairs of pants.

He no longer picks up after himself. doesn't help around the house anymore. Only wants to eat chicken and drinks Yahoo. 

We found out in November of 2022 that he now has lung cancer, which we are not treating.

Sorry I am not much help.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

First you need a song

note that it is addressed to the DISEASE  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=6dYWe1c3OyU ire, writhe. 

My wife showed her first symptoms  in 2009   she was a world famous physician expert in Medical computing  Ive been on this road about 14 years

Good people here

• danapuppy
    danapuppy Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    God bless you. I'm only three years into this purgatory and not sure I'll survive another. Fourteen years sounds like eternity.
  • KimDK
    KimDK Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hello. My husband is 56 and was diagnosed with MCI, mild cognitive impairment. It is a lot to learn and take in. Any suggestions on how to begin navigating all of this information.

We learned today about SSDI. He plans to still work at his financial advisor firm in a new capacity. Any advice if he can work and collect benefits? His income will be drastically reduced. We still have college kids. I am looking at going back to work but I know the job market isn’t easy for 57 year olds.

Thanks for the guidance and help.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    KimDK, your post is more likely to be read and responded to if you start your own thread. To do that, tap on Spouse or Partner Caregiver Forum and tap on the green box to Add a Thread. Then you’ll get responses with all kinds of suggestions. This forum is a great support and source of information. Keep posting and reading old threads.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    KimDK, in addition to starting a new topic, you may wish to do a search on "SSDI" and get posts on this issue.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more