Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need Direction

My husband and I moved to Fort Worth, Texas from California in late 2020 after he was first diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Memory Disorder.  Our Primary Care physician referred us to a Neurologist.  He initially did an EGG and prescribed Aricept and recently prescribed Reminyl.  The medications are helping however I feel like his treatment could involve more.  The neurologist basically asks my husband how he has been doing since his last appointment and that is about it.  He is in and out of the room rapidly.  I'm feeling lost and I know my husband is too.  Should we be seeing another doctor or a Geriatric Psychiatrist?  Thank you in advance for you input.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi jody. Sadly, the docs don't have a lot to offer, your experience is not unique. You'll probably find more help in this forum. Geriatric psychiatrists can be helpful with medications to manage behaviors and anxiety or depression, if needed.  But again likely not a lot of help in the day to day.  It's still pretty much an untreatable disease.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The "treatment", so to speak, is learning about the disease so that you can know what you can expect.  Make the legal and financial preparations.  Dementia-proof the home.  Do your Bucket List.  Develop a philosophy.  Learn from the other members, who are knowledgeable and willing to share.

Iris L.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Jody and welcome to this forum and to Tex. We see a psychiatrist that specializes in dementia/Alzheimer’s every 3-4 months. (DH is stage 6) . Every time dr ask dh how he’s doing and his response is always just fine. But the dr talks to me first without dh in the room or on the phone, that gives me a chance to tell dr what is going on with dh. This works with us because I can be honest with dr and keep him informed without hurting my husband. 

Like others have said keep yourself informed by reading everything you can about dementia/ Alzheimer’s, and visit this forum often. Personally I’ve learned more here than any books because these people have “lived “ with this disease. Best of luck to you and your husband. We all care about you and you’re not alone. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Jody. Welcome aboard, but wish you had no need for the forum. Like others have said, the forum will give you a ton of information that you will not get from the medical field. I wish it were different, but for now there's little they can offer other than a diagnosis. Here is an excellent link to get you started https://www.alzconnected.org/uploadedFiles/understanding-the-dementia-experience.pdf   Read all the previous posts you can to get an idea how we operate here, and discover some great information. Post with any questions you might have, or just to rant. We understand.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the message board Jody and to TX!. If you will look at the top of this page and click solutions several topics will come up. You can click through those to see if any of that information is helpful in your situation.

As for being in FtW I know there are several opportunities for you and your DH to look into & participate in. Have you looked into UNT Health Science? On their website look under Patient Care and you will see Neurology. I know several people whom have used or are using UNT for their neurologist and PCP's. Of course UT Southwestern in Dallas, is fantastic. It will take time to get an appointment but once established I have no doubt the level of care is outstanding. They also have the Brain Institute in Dallas. 

Are you open to trying a different neurologist? Maybe a different approach and different medications? 

Another program that is outstanding is called Dementia Friendly Ft. Worth. It is a zoom program daily @ 10:30, 1:30. Different programs each day and its quite fun. My DH and I participate daily in it. Something fun to look forward to daily.

I don't know if the local ALZ chapter has any in person programs yet. You could look into that. I've found the more plugged in and active the better my DH does, even on a Zoom program.

Hope I've not overwhelmed you. Ask questions if you have any. And welcome to the message board.

eagle

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    EagleMom thank you for mentioning the Dementia Friendly Fort Worth...made me wonder if San Antonio might have something similar...and yes they do.  In fact, Dementia Friendly America evidently has partners all over.  I guess I'm a little late to the party.  Again, thank you.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

TwinMom there are Dementia Friendly cities throughout the world. If you and your DH want to join our Ft.W group that would be wonderful. Its all on Zoom, so wherever you are doesn't matter. I can personally vouch for this program.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney