Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Weighted blankets(1)

DH is having a hard time sleeping at night at the care facility. He often wakens and wants to get up and can be loud enough to waken the other residents. Most times he will go back to sleep when told it is too early to get up, however, the night care giver and other residents often hav a hard time going back to sleep.  Sometimes the hallucinations set in and DH is combative but eventually goes back to sleep. Has anyone tried a weighted blanket as a sleep aid for dementia patients?  My daughter suggested this might be a help, and I am curious if anyone has tried one.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I tried it. My daughter who is a nurse recommended it. My dh felt like it was pushing him down and started having delusions that he was being pushed down a dark hole. This was just our experience with the weighted blanket. Best of luck to you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Joydean's experience was not good. But I've seen other posts where people have had good luck with them. We never tried them.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

As Ed says, some of the Members have found the weighted blankets to be helpful, but have no idea for how long it is helpful.  One thing with the blankets, one must be careful not to get one that is too heavy; lots of information on Google as to how to choose such items and how to choose the best weight for the person using the item.

Good luck and if you do get one, let us know how it worked out.

J..

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Saltom-

Does your DH's facility have an OT? Ask them.

Ideally a weighted blanket is prescribed by an OT with training in sensory issues. While many folks free-ball this, there should be a protocol regarding weight used (typically 10-15% of body weight) and a schedule of on/off to avoid losing efficacy related to becoming used to the weight. 

If your husband is progressed to a point where he's become weak and deconditioned a weighted blanket might even act as a restraint. And they are usually not appropriate for people who have arthritis or osteoporosis. 

HB
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks for all the information.   Instead of trying out blankets we have decided to have Hospice provide a low dose of Lorazepam and see if that works.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more