Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

nightmare of double incontinence

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
I woke up this morning to a major mess.  My DH can't take a shower on his own.  Thank heavens for Hospice.  His bowel movement was everywhere. on his hands, all over his cup and on the rail of his bed. I did the best I could and now I'm waiting for Hospice to come shower him and I can clean the rest.  What a nightmare that I just can't wake up from.  I do love him but I'm not sure I meant in sickness and in health. I just wanted to scream but I surprised myself.  I held it together.

Comments

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You didn’t mention if he wears a diaper. My wife is in diapers because she has lost most of her bladder control. Luckily, she still has bowel control most of the time with sporadic control loss. When she loses that, I will probably start thinking of turning her care over to someone else. If this was an isolated incident then it may just be something to look out for. If this happens often, then maybe it’s time for placement. Of course, other factors would need to be considered as well.  

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ugh, that’s hard to take Lgw.  I hope it is a one off, and not a new stage.  Hang in there!
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Lgw, Ugh is right. Been there, done that and it's not pleasant.  I found if I had DH sit on the toilet after dinner he usually had a BM. He'd sound like a cow in labor as he tried to have a BM, but it was worth it and saved a lot of cleaning up.  I still had to do the  wiping and hygiene which fortunately he didn't object to.  Good Luck. Hospice is a big help.
  • Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    He does wear a diaper.  He has lost the ability to walk and can only stand with help.  When he was in rehab after a bout with aspirational pneumonia all he would do was beg to come home. So here we are, him sleeping all day and night. I wake him up to change him and feed him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more