Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Story So Far

You would have to see my profile, click on  story, rather long but all true.

Comments

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

You'll find support, information, and even laughter (through tears)here.  Welcome ray.

Elaine

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum Ray.  That is neither unusual or long, for these boards.  Hope you will indeed find help and support here.  It is hard when family members like your granddaughter don't understand what's going on.  You don't have to try to convince her or reason with her.  

From what you describe it sounds like your wife is reaching terminal stages with the rapid weight loss, etc.  I'm surprised she didn't qualify for hospice help; sometimes it's advisable to ask for a second evaluation from another agency.  you don't need a doctor's order for that, you can call yourself.  Just a thought.  And good luck.  Lot of caring people and good information/idea sharing here.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Ray,

God bless you, for taking such good care of your DW.  You are doing everything you can.  Seems like sometimes we can't get a break no matter what.  Family can be unkind, I know that.  It's denial or misplaced anger, or who knows what, but your granddaughter is so wrong.  I am glad M1 mentioned calling another agency for hospice.  I am entering that phase myself.  I know it will bring you relief.  Prayers and wishes for peace, for you both. 

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The advice others have given about hospice is good. These days there are many more hospices and they can definitely be different in important ways, some much better than others, and with different services to offer. It's worth seeking one until you are heard and supported.

Check with your local Area Agency on Aging, and your senior center for information on nearest resources, to get the best recommendations. They often have resources that support the caregiver. Sometimes you find a social worker/caseworker who is a wealth of knowledge and support.

Senior living facilities would also have staff who are familiar with what's available in your area. The nearest Alzheimer Association group should be able to steer you also, for best recommedations.

Ask questions, seek information, until you find the help you need. I know that can be hard to do when you're so flat out caring for your loved one. Reach out when you can, as much as you can, until you get the support you need.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ray, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been devastating. As has been said, you will get a lot of support and understanding here. Welcome to the forum, but sorry you need it.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Ray.  Getting rid of your stuff was not a bad move--it helped you to be flexible in your plans.  Keep reading and posting.

Iris L.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more