Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Save a few bucks on streaming

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for posting, Ed.  I don't have cable or satellite or services except Hulu that you posted about a year ago.  I watch three sitcoms on broadcast TV, other than that, my TV is for emergencies, like an earthquake or other major announcement.  I listen to the radio.  I didn't know there were so many free streaming services.  Actually, I'm not quite sure what a streaming service is.

Iris

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Iris - Hulu is a streaming service.  A steaming  service is an internet app that you can watch TV series, movies, live events  on.    You can watch them on your computer, your smart tv or on a smart phone.   Many cable and broadcast channels are now available as individual streaming services or as part of other services such as Hulu Live.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    We “cut the cord” and have been streaming everything for about 4 years. It took a little getting used to at first but we save a lot of money since we got rid of cable and satellite. We’re in an area that doesn’t get much without a huge antenna, so it’s perfect for us. We only pay for the programming we like and save a lot of money. We pay for some services and some we get for free. But the paid ones and much cheaper and go month to month with no contracts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Victoria, we also get Hoopla. There is another service like Hoopla from libraries that don't have Hoopla, but I can't remember the name of it. Our library also has two sources for music too. One of them, called Freegal, allows you to download and keep so many songs a week/month. The other is strictly downloaded on loan. There are great services available if people look for them.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I have been receiving his weekly email for a year and it is helpful. Just now getting into streaming.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The problem I have with cutting the cable is losing my remote control. I am not willing to giveup the ease of selecting a channel. Maybe I need further lessons on how to rapidly select from the millions of "pictures" to go back and forth between...lol

Judith

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:

There is another service like Hoopla from libraries that don't have Hoopla, but I can't remember the name of it. 

Is it Kanopy?  My library offers this.

QBC, thanks for the explanation.

Iris

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    I just cut the cord with our cable provider.  Cancelled the service a few days ago and dropped off the cable box today.  Our TVs were purchased Roku ready, very easy to set up and most of what we have been watching has been on the free streaming channels. Plus our cable provider raised our rates 24% in the past year…ouch…so it was time to part ways.  Well, at least until football season!  But I have a feeling that by then our old cable provider will be happy to take us back at a nice low new customer rate.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks...seems my library has Hoopla and Kanopy!!!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Iris L. wrote: 

Is it Kanopy?  My library offers this.

I think that might be it.

Judith, do you have a smart TV or a roku or something similar? It just occurred to me that you could always get some of those tracking things to put on your remote. If you haven't tried streaming, try it. It won't take long to become acquainted with it. And if you need local channels, you can always buy a cheap indoor antenna for $25 or less. Of course if you have any other questions on this stuff, just ask. Someone will help pretty quickly.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I'll keep this one in mind, our television service has taken a leap over the last ? however many months. The only problem we'll have is being metered with our data usage. I did pick up a couple air antennas for local channels in case of emergencies when our provider began charging $12 per month for local channels. We're also paying $22 per month for equipment fees, that's ridiculous. I could be a cord cutter very soon, DH gets irritated at times because of commercials, so I've already begun purchasing his favorite shows on DVD's. EBAY is actually cheaper at times than Amazon. Who knew?!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more