Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Back After Awhile

Hi, Everyone:  I haven't been on in a few weeks, but I need to vent.  Hubs, every few weeks or so, speaks of his mother in the present tense, although she died in 2016.  This evening he was adamant that he had just spoken to his sister who was, according to Hubs, is in town.  She is actually a few hundred miles away and hasn't been here since Christmas.  When I said that I thought she was not here in our city, he blew up at me and accused me of calling him a liar.  You just can't win.  This too shall pass, etc.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Janco wrote:
     You just can't win.  

Hi Janco. Welcome back. If you play your cards right you have a better chance of winning. If he thinks his mother is alive, don't try to reason with him. You won't win if you do. Use whatever fiblets you need to use. If he wants to call her, she had to go to a hotel for a few days because there was some major structural rot in the house that had to be taken care of. The hotel has no wifi and no phones because of (whatever). If he talked to his sister yesterday, and she is in town, so be it. Something like "I meant to tell you that she called, and said she had to leave right away because there is a broken water pipe that she has to take care of immediately. She said she will talk to you later." Then you call his sister to let her in on what happened. Maybe she can call to talk to him, explaining that she was going to come see him, but got a call about the water problem. Just use your imagination to  keep him from being agitated. Depending on how his memory is, you might be able to use the same fiblet over and over. Or just make up a new story. Just let him think whatever it is he thinks, and keep the peace. Once you satisfy his demeanor, change the subject.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more