Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What stage is he in?(1)

Need to vent please. My husband doesn’t sleep at night. He might fall asleep for an hour then he’s up all night. Totally out of it at. Totally worse, out of it the next day. He’ll catnap during the day but it’s not restful. Talking nonsense, seeing things. Can’t complete a sentence that makes sense, hallucinates, totally out of it. Neurologist said to give 25 mg Seroquel, then 50 mg, then 75, then 100  I made it to 50 and I couldn’t control him, wouldn’t get in bed and totally unsteady  

Tried traxadone, Seroquel, Benadryl, Belsomra. Nothing works. Have to peel him off the wall, slurring his words, pees wherever he’s at. One lucid time he said the drugs take him to another planet. Have taken him off all meds.  Nothing helps his sleep, it only puts him in a drugged frenzy. His Alzheimer’s has progressed so fast. He was driving some last November. Only 3 months ago. Now I have to help him with everything. Meals, getting dressed, showering. 

He has been to ER twice since December. He has had blood work, a head cat scan and urine tests all normal 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Might he have an infection, such as a uti?  Have you consulted a geriatric psychiatrist?  I know some folks here have had to admit their LOWD to the hospital to get the meds balanced.  I’m so sorry for your suffering.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    It does sound like he needs admission to get this under control.   He probably needs another atypical antipsychotic besides Seroquel--the other drugs you mentioned (especially the benadryl and Belsomra) are likely contrindicated in dementia.  Find out about available geriatric psychiatry wards near you and take him to that emergency room; a geriatric psychiatrist is going to be much more help than a neurologist.  You may need to tell them (and it's true) that you cannot care for him at home under these circumstances.  They can not only help get his medications regulated in a controlled environment, but can then help you plan for future care from there--be it back home or in a facility.  I'm so sorry.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Otis2424 I don’t have any words of wisdom to offer but the post above are right on target. I can send you hugs and prayers. So sorry for all the hell you and your dh are going through right now.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband’s dementia has progressed quickly as well. Last year he was able to make sentences, now he just asks where is his dinner. He hasn’t allowed me to shower him or wash his hair. He stinks to high heaven. Right next to his bed are bottles of cologne he used to wear, now all forgotten. He has a bushy white beard, before he was always clean shaven.

The responses here are excellent. A geriatric psychiatrist saw my husband and he is on 6 trazadone pills a day. It has helped somewhat, he has stopped peeing on the floor, however still leaves poo in the sink, just not as often. The doctor has explained that my husband has to be able to allow aides to give him showers etc. So when that is in place, they will place him in an emergency placement. Honestly, I am so ready for that, my life is a circus. I hope you can sort him out soon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more