Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Advice requested: Insatiable appetite

My DW (79) is somewhere between stages 5-6 of her ALZ. In order to manage her intermittent sleep and anxiety episodes, a couple of months ago her neuropsychologist increased her seroquel intake from 50 mg to 125 mg a day. (She also takes 0.5 mg a day of clonazepam.) This boost has (partly) helped, but caused another problem: an sharp increase of her appetite. As a result, despite all my efforts, she started to gain weight very fast. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My wife is obsessed with food. She will try to eat what I'm fixing for a meal while I'm still preparing it. I have to prepare meals while protecting the food from her until I put it on the table. She will grab food from other people's plates. Now I keep all food stuff locked up so she can't get to it. I have locks on the refrigerator and the freezer and the cabinets that I have food in. They are not expensive and can be found in the infant section of Walmart and other stores. It's also important to lock up cleaning supplies and other things that might be mistaken for food as she can't always tell the difference.
  • kkl1943
    kkl1943 Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Dear Arrowhead, thanks for your input. Do you know of any medications to deal with the problem?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more