Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wandering at night

My husband recently started trying to walk outside in the night from bed. He has 100% use of a walker. My question is should I try to talk to him about this?  He is diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer’s.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Linlea.  Discussion probably won't help.  Putting some kind of bolt on the door above eye level works for a lot of people.  a bed alarm may help too, so that if you're not right there you can know when he gets up.  Disrupts your sleep though.
  • mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Talking about it probably depends on your husband comprehension and retention.  A PT once told me to put a large red STOP sign on the door.  Others here have said to install a small tab lock or hook and eye lock high up and out of sight. There are some with keys too.  My LO wasn’t confidently mobile or aware enough to unlock the door, therefore, I didn’t use either of these systems.  

I hope you find a peaceful solution to keep both of you safe. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    No discussion. I put a simple lock above eye level on each of our doors, except for the back door. So she could get out of the back door that led into a fenced yard that she could not get out of. She would try and try to open the doors, but could not figure out why she couldn't open them. One day she happened to spot the lock, and was able to unlock it. But the next day she forgot all about it, and was again unable to get out the door. She never spotted the lock again.
  • Frustrated wife
    Frustrated wife Member Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary First Comment

My husband ( moderate Alzheimer’s) wouldn’t go to bed and wanted to go out front door to meet his wife ( I am standing right there) all at after midnight! We have alarm on door and three times he tripped alarm. Although I tried to divert him, he went out the door and down the street. By luck, my neighbors just came home and I went after him and got him to come home. He finally laid down on couch but wouldn’t go to bed in the bedroom. I got a new rx from his neurologist for bedtime and hopefully it helps. This was the worst experience I have had. I really didn’t know what to do other than call police??

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Frustrated Wife: Put locks on the doors as Ed described.

Post a big STOP sign on door.

Use a big black rug in front of the door area. Many PWD will misinterpret this as a black hole and will avoid the area.

Good luck. You CAN get control over this situation.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Linlea welcome to the message boards. Wandering isn't uncommon, but you do want to keep your LO safe. The lock above eye level is a great start. Also I would have a chat with his neurologist about this, I'm assuming, new behavior. Maybe he needs something to help him sleep soundly throughout the night.

Let us know how its going. Again, welcome.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney