Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

any ideals on how to get hubbys DL out of his wallet.

I know how to replace it at the DMV I just don't know how to get it out of his wallet.He has his wallet chained to his pants and he sleeps in his pants, he hardly changes his pants  and doesn't take a bath more then about 10 times a month. . when he does he changes his pants in the bathroom and won't let me near his pants.

Comments

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Off the top of my head, and I have no idea if this would work - out of the blue bring up a conversation about DL in general. You heard it on the radio, then say lets check our DL's. Make a production of getting your wallet and pulling your DL & looking it over. No your doesn't have that mark. Here Peewee lets check yours. Of course his won't have the mark either. So you'll have to take them both to get them fixed.

Could that work? You are just going to have to get very creative with a fiblet or two. 

eagle

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Could you possibly call motor vehicles and have it canceled?
  • ladypeewee
    ladypeewee Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    I went to the DMV and ask the lady what I need to do to get his DL changed over to an ID because my husband has Alzheimer's disease and she told me all I have to do is bring him and his DL in and she would make him and new ID she just had to take a new Photo. I just need to get his DL and tell him he lost it and lets go get him a new one.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    ladypeewee-

Are you legally mandated to do this?

We let dad keep his drivers license. It was more important to remove the car and the keys than a piece of paper he could easily drive without. He took great pride in using it to check into new doctor's offices. Eventually he hid it away for safe keeping. When we found it, I made a copy and laminated it for his wallet and my mom carried the original for appointments. 

HB

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    I agree it's more important to keep car keys from his reach/access. My DH is still harping on it a year later since I had stopped him from driving. I just blamed it on the police, that the officers instructed me to take away the keys. In my case, the trauma would be compounded if I took away his DL, which he associates with HIS IDENTITY. We can't reason with them. And even if at this moment they seem to understand, there's no guarantee anything will stick.
  • ladypeewee
    Hubby thinks as long as he has a DL he can still drive, He doesn't drive but that won't stop him if he get the notion to do so. We only have one car. I do hide the keys but it's getting harder and harder to hide them because he is always where I am .  So I just thought it would be easier to get the ID.
  • Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Driver's license's have to be renewed, when is his due for renewal? I see that you joined in 2015, has it been renewed since then? It may be expired already, hopefully, maybe? I've got other things going on to deal with, but my DH gave up driving on his own. Does he think he's safe to drive? That could be a major problem being you have only 1 vehicle. Will the doctor say something to him about he shouldn't be driving? Hmmm, I'll keep thinking. I sure hope you get this one figured out. It's not only him that he's putting in danger, who knows who else could be affected.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I don’t think changing from a driver’s license to a state ID would stop my DH from wanting to drive.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree that I don't think removing the physical DL will do any good if he thinks he is still competent enough to drive.  The only way I finally convinced my husband to understand he couldn't drive was I explained to him, over and over that if he was to get in even the smallest of accidents, since he has the medical diagnosis of dementia (Alzheimer's) on his record, he would be blamed even if he wasn't at fault. Which would lead to us being sued, losing our house and all our money.  I know that was a simplistic way to state it but it worked.  

Every time he would bring up wanting to drive, I would just say what is more important, driving or keeping out house.  

• Dio

CStrope, I did the same, although he understood the risks at the time, it didn't last. It was a long painful period, for sure. And I truly empathized with how he was feeling. Once, I almost succumbed to his sad face and let him have the car keys. Thank God I came to my senses before it happened. When it came to driving, and there were 2 near-misses, it truly was non-negotiable. Eventually, he accepted it. Every now and then, he'll still say, "I sure would like to drive." I'll say, "I know you're the better driver, but it's just not safe because we never know when Lewy will strike. What if you freeze up? or forget where you're going? or when you can't hit the brake in time?"

Ladypeewee, so sorry you're having to deal with this. Don't waste your energy trying to get his DL. How many people on the road may be driving without a license? It's more important for him not to have access to the car keys. I wish you much luck! Hang in there.

• Dio

CStrope, I did the same, although he understood the risks at the time, it didn't last. It was a long painful period, for sure. And I truly empathized with how he was feeling. Once, I almost succumbed to his sad face and let him have the car keys. Thank God I came to my senses before it happened. When it came to driving, and there were 2 near-misses, it truly was non-negotiable. Eventually, he accepted it. Every now and then, he'll still say, "I sure would like to drive." I'll say, "I know you're the better driver, but it's just not safe because we never know when Lewy will strike. What if you freeze up? or forget where you're going? or when you can't hit the brake in time?"

Ladypeewee, so sorry you're having to deal with this. Don't waste your energy trying to get his DL. How many people on the road may be driving without a license? It's more important for him not to have access to the car keys. I wish you much luck! Hang in there.
  • ladypeewee
    I guess I didn't make myself clear. Peewee no longer drives but he thinks he can if it was a have to case like someone need to go to the hospital . He says as long as he still has his DL he can take someone to the Hospital if needed. This is why I want to change his DL to a ID.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    In my state, IDs and Driver’s Licenses look very similar. Are you sure your husband will actually recognize the ID as such and not think it a new Driver’s License?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more