Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Introducing Myself(5)

Hi, all.

I just joined ALZConnected! My wife has a lot of health issues, beginning with multiple myeloma (diagnosed almost 13 years ago). Last year she developed serious arrhythmia which resulted in 60 hours in ERs, two hospital stays, ablations, and a pacemaker--all the while being partially blind due to much-needed cataract surgery. Woven throughout the horrid year were my suspicions that she has sleep apnea. She completed the sleep study last night. After we got home this morning, she realized with a chuckle that she'd worn her pajama top as leggings! Yep, her legs were through the sleeves! Fortunately, her oncologist is referring her to a neurologist. The PJ top as leggings is the latest in many good-natured lapses in cognition. I'm definitely going to need the support of this community!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Welcome to the forum.  So---no formal diagnosis of dementia?  But I take it you're suspicious?  Hope they can help you get it sorted out. It's tough when there are multiple medical diagnoses, hard to know which are contributing.   Myeloma is a tough one.   But this is a supportive group of folks, regardless, with lots of practical experience about caring for ill loved ones.  Hope you'll find it helpful.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    EsselJay, welcome. I'm so sorry for the struggles both you and your wife are going through. You will receive a lot of support here, so if you have questions or just want to rant, you know how to start a thread. It's all good, so you don't have to hold back.
  • RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Welcome,

The folks here are kind and helpful. I am happy to hear that you are seeing a neurologist. My heart aches that you have multiple issues to deal with….please keep us posted. 

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    You chose well is joining this forum/discussion board. This is the first time I've had to get on here today and I was just wandering how to tell the folks how much help they've been to me. EsselJay - I've found out that it's OK to ask pretty much anything here, there's already someone who has come before us who knows the situation we now find ourselves in and can help. And they do! This is without a doubt the best, most loving bunch of people. I'm so glad you found your way here, so sorry you had to.
  • EsselJay
    EsselJay Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Thank you all for the support and welcome! My wife's neurology appointment isn't until the end of May (unless there's a cancelation), and her CT scan is not until the 20th of this month. We still don't know what is causing her cognitive misfirings. Meanwhile, we are in a kind of limbo. I assume that limbo is a common realm that people living alongside PWD find themselves in. Today and yesterday, she has seemed normal. Is that common with PWD?
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,321
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum,  As the others have said this is THE place to be when you begin to deal with dementia of any kind.  You'll have all kinds of questions so feel free to ask anything - nothing is too insignificant to ask.  Someone will have the answer.  There's usually someone reading all the time so help is near.

I joined the forum in 2008 when my husband was diagnosed.  I didn't know anything much about alz.  We later found he had vascular dementia.  I couldn't have made it without the wonderful people on the forum.  My mother and sister both passed away from Alzheimers so I've learned quite a lot about it - from them and mostly from the people on the forum.  

You asked if them sometimes seeming okay is normal.  I think it is.  I always refer to a movie - Folks - that shows this.  There are times when they seem like everything's okay but those times come less frequently as time goes on.  Enjoy the times they happen.  If you can, be as patient as much as possible.  Changes in surroundings or being around a lot of people is confusing to them and makes it worse.  But, do things you can now, while you can.  Both of you will be the better for it.

Again, welcome.  Wish you didn't have to be here but glad you are to get help when you need it.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Yes, that is pretty common, especially in the earlier stages. And that can make it harder than if it were a constant. You just don't know what you are going to get today or in the next hour.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I too want to extend a welcome to you. As others have said do the things that you and your wife can do together now. Enjoy and cherish the days you have and the things you both like doing together. Sorry your wife is having to deal with the other medical issues too.   One thing I can say is you are not alone in this journey now, we are all here for you and with you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more