Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello-New Member

I was diagnosed with EO Dementia in July of 2021 at 60 however, they think I had it as far back as age 50. I will be 62 in April.

I am married and I live in Hiawatha, IA. My husband and I are both retired. Together we have a melded family-we have 6 grown children and a total of twelve grandchildren. 

I am interested in making some connections with you folks that want to talk, unload, gripe about anything with no judgement from me. I would like to do the same.  I don't often feel sorry for myself, but I cannot rule out that happening once in a while.

More about me: I like to read, watch movies, go out to eat, shop with my girlfriends, have game night with friends, being on the computer and play cards. Also as you can imagine I love to spend time with my grandkids! I volunteer at our library doing book shelving once a week and I am on the board of The Friends of the Hiawatha Public Library. 

Reading si sometimes a challenge for me. I can read the words but I might not comprehend what I have read. I also cannot really use cookbooks anymore because I have difficulty with directions. My husband helps me when I am making something for the first time and I can do it then.

I have not been on Message Boards or in ALZ reading. I didnt want to start reading until I shared my story. 

I hope to hear from some of you. Thank you! I will share more as I learn how to go about this.

April

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to this online support group, April.  I am sorry you have received that diagnosis. I hope you had thorough medical, neurologicak snd psychistric evaluations in order to rule out dementia mimics.

I have a diagnisis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.  This means my memory loss and cognitive changes are due to other illnesses besides Alzheimer's Disease or the other major dementias.  I was age 59 when I joined.  In my mid 60s I had further testing which revealed that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease.   My neurologist had prescribed Exelon patch to help my speech and my memory; I still take that along with memantine.  I also treat my elevated blood pressure, which is a contributing factor.  Also sleep apnea is a contributing factor for me.

Did your neurologist offer you any medications?

You have a large family, it is nice that you have so many to help you.  Do you live in town or on a farm?  I have never been to Iowa.  Do you have a calm life?  You seem like you are enjoying your activities.  I too had trouble with reading; I began to re-read books I was already familiar with, it was easier for me.  

There are not a lot of us on this board.  But post when you can.  We need to support each other.  We can give comfort and offer suggestions for the future.

Iris

• EODApril@60
    EODApril@60 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Hello Iris and Everyone,

I was excited to see someone reached out, Thank you for that!

I actually live in a small town (Hiawatha). We are a suburb of Cedar Rapids, Ia. Maybe you have heard of us, We have the Quaker Oats main plant and we are close to the University of Iowa and the Iowa Hawkeyes. (I am not into sports but most everyone has heard of them-we are a BIG 10 Team.)

We are home to Cap'n Crunch and during the winter you can smell those Crunchberries! 

I will write more soon.

April

• Iris L.

Hello April,

I am huge fan of oatmeal, even in the summer, and oatmeal raisin are my favorite cookies.  But I am not a fan of sport, so I don't know the Big 10. 

We have been dealing with a lot of rain where I live in Southern California.  But finally, we are out of the extreme drought stage.

I used to engage in a lot of activities, especially overseas travel.  But after my latest travel in 2019, I felt a change.  Due to the lockdowns I have not traveled.  But I don't feel up to doing much now anyway.  I feel like I need rehabilitation to get myself going again, if that is possible.

Spring will be here soon.  I hope you will be enjoying good weather, April.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi April,

I am a big fan of oatmeal too as well as the cap’t crunch cereal that I grew up with. What types of books do you read? I like wicked. & Mitch Albom books. I enjoy playing backgammon and playing Yahtzee

• EODApril@60
    EODApril@60 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Hi,

I like Patterson, Jodi Picoult, Sandra Brown, Harlan Coben and so many more. I love Wicked, the musical. We saw it done the first time in CA and Patty Duke was one of the teachers. It was incredible!

My hubby and I love Hand & Foot. We also play King's Crown, Cards Against Humanity and random board games.

Thanks for reaching out!

April

• Iris L.

Welcome back, April. We're having a heat wave here, it's in the 90's. How about where you live?

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi EODApril,

I have always wanted to go see Wicked but never have. I have read the Wicked books in the past. i don't think I have ever played hand & foot before. Is it a card game? I have played Cards Against Humanity before too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more