Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A New Facility

Tomorrow morning I am moving my husband to a new facility. His current facility has been great about working with us because I told them it is simply about cost which is true. The new place is $2000 month less and he will have a private room. The owner of the facility is going to ride with my friend in the U Haul truck I rented while my friend will ride with me and my husband. I don’t think he will really notice much as he has gone downhill so fast. Covid has reared its head again in some facilities so we have had to wait for it to run its course. I pray every night that my husband will not be one of those people who end up in care for years. Some of the residents seem much like they did when he moved in last June and in watching them they seem to be enjoying life and each other. I hope the move goes smoothly.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Keeping fingers crossed for you, Gig. I hope everything goes well. Keep us posted.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Also wishing you well. Will be interested to hear how it goes.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig glad you have some help in the move. Praying for you today
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Gig,

You have put a lot of thought in this move, and it will go smoothly. Take care of yourself. Hugs Zetta 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Best wishes, Gig.  I hope everything goes as planned, if not better.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Gig, I hope it all goes well for you and your husband.  Yesterday, I moved my DH to a MC center from a residential senior care home where he had been asked to leave due to agitation and waking up at night yelling for me. The caregivers were becoming afraid of him and he hit one. They were caring compassionate people but not trained in dementia care. I wound up having to pay for five nights of individual care for him while I found another place.  The new place takes up to 31 residents and is licensed exclusively for dementia care. So far they have successfully managed any agitation so he doesn't feel attacked. The hallucinations have been getting more frequent and scary for him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one works out. And surprisingly if he can stay in a shared room, the fee is less than what I was paying at the residential  home. A private room will be another matter.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hoping and praying everything goes well for you Gig. 

Saltom hope things work out for your dh too! 

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The move went very smoothly. My husband did not pay any attention during the hour long car ride. When we got to the new facility he sat on a couch and dozed while I fixed his room. I had to leave just before lunch and he said goodbye and dozed off again. The new place is divided into lighter care and heavier care and he is in the heavier side. I did not see any residents who he would be able to interact with but he was not doing that anyways. I will miss the activity when I visit him but I don’t think he will. He has a larger room with a very nice lift chair in it and it is $2000 a month less.

Saltom it sounds like you have found a good place for your LO. Maybe they will be able to give him meds to decrease his anxiety. It sounds like good specialized care.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Glad to hear the good initial report Gig. Keep us posted too Saltom.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig, Hoping all goes smoothly with the move. Good luck.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Gig, I am happy to hear that things are going well so far.  (I think you and I are in a similar situation where our DH’s progression stands, just in different facilities. DH requires the “heaviest” care among his cottage’s residents).  I hope the good reports continue.  

saltom, I hope your DH does well in placement also, giving you some peace of mind and relief from 24/7 caregiving.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm happy for you, Gig. Hopefully this will turn out to be a very good move.

Saltom, it sounds as though your move was a good one too. It's a very good thing when they are trained in dementia care. I hope things continue to go well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more