Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Awareness - getting started

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I did exchange emails with Jim Mangi, aka "Toad". He suggested several things, one of them being that I contact Alz. Association, which I did. The first lady I spoke with asked me what I would be willing to do. I explained to her that I would like to try speaking to small groups of people in an effort to let them know what this is all about. I did mention that I would be interested in meeting with a school of nursing. She actually puts on presentations herself, and she said maybe I could go with her to one of them. That would be great!

I just received a text from another lady I spoke with a couple of days ago. The largest newspaper in our immediate area (NW Indiana) is interested in our story, and I will be contacted by one of their reporters. It's a start.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I bet you’ll find a forum Ed. That’s great!
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Great news, Ed!  Perhaps the start of a new career.  Hopefully, unlike me, you have a few wardrobe pieces suitable for presentations.  Since retiring, I joke that I’m overdressed if my tee shirt is tucked into my jeans and I have “real” shoes on, instead of flip flops.  Casual, formal, or otherwise, you will be a great ambassador with a valuable message.  You go, Mayor Ed!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mr Ed so very happy for you! Very happy to hear a newspaper will publish your story. Hope many people will read it and share with others! You will do just great! 

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Ed you will be a great addition to the AlzAssociation! You are knowledgeable , compassionate and caring! Good luck!
  • F&E
    F&E Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    That is a wonderful start.thank you for all that you do
  • RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Way to go Ed!! Great news and as always..grateful for all that you do!
  • Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Mr. Ed, I so admire what you're doing. Good job! Further on, I see the need to raise awareness of what dementia and Alzheimer's is and isn't. My God in heaven I wish I had been more aware sooner. I spent a long time trying to figure things out on my own, thrashing through the waters of could it be this, could it be that and always second guessing myself. 

I thought our diet needed tweaking, we needed some vitamin or supplement that was missing, we weren't getting out and getting enough sunshine, Vitamin D, or enough exercise? This went on for years. Throughout the process I have learned a great deal and discovered some valuable online resources for information. B-U-T, I didn't think dementia or Alzheimer's because he didn't check all of the boxes. Little did I know and here's where you come in, there are variables, duh, I just didn't get it. A big thank you for what you are doing. You are the super hero who is going to get people informed, make them aware and you sir are going to be responsible for opening some eyes and creating an atmosphere of understanding. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more