Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

KimDK

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,723
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi kim i saw your first post on another thread so started a new topic for you. I am so sorry you find yourself in need of support but you will find it here.. MCI at 56 has to be a terrible shock and you are facing a lot.

You asked about whether he can still work and apply for SSDI. I am sure there is much available online, but a crucial first step for you is to consult a certified elder law attorney ASAp-you can find them listed by location at nelf.org.  you will need help not only with financial planning and disability steps, but also with putting the necessary powers of attorney in place so that you can act on your husband's behalf when necessary. There are some sharp legal eagles on this forum who can give you more specific input, it is very important that these early steps be handled correctly so that any benefits he is entitled to from hisvjob are handled correctly. You mentioned that he works at a financial advisory firm, continuing to work even in a lesser capacity could carry some liability risk so these things will need to be thought through carefully.

DDeep breath, a step at a time. This forum has been a godsend and I hope you will have the same experience. You do not have to face this alone.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

No, one cannot work and collect SSDI.  By applying for disability relief, you are saying that you cannot work at any substantial job.  The applicant has to document why he/she can not perform the functions of any work, not just one's own occupation.

But it is probable that he is already having difficulties at work, if he actually has dementia.  He can consider taking sick leave pending completion of his medical and neurological evaluations and testing and treatment, if any is suggested.  This should be discussed with the appropriate legal and financial consultants.

If you can do so discreetly, get a look at his latest annual employee review for warnings.  Do not discuss anything with the employer until you have had consultation.   You are at a sensitive point now.

Iris L.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Just confirming what Iris said... I just completed the SSDI for my DH.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Iris L. wrote:

But it is probable that he is already having difficulties at work, if he actually has dementia.  

It is often difficult to get a specific diagnosis of a dementia in the early stages.  A diagnosis of cognitive impairment may be sufficient to obtain benefits.  The important thing is to document specific difficulties that inhibit working.  That's why it is important to work with the doctors and lawyers in the disability field because they know how to word the application.

Iris

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more