Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hurricane Sue blowing through

I am sitting in my office listening to my wife in the kitchen banging cups, dishes and silverware and cupboards opening and slamming closed. It was her birthday yesterday and there are boxes and packaging material she can pick up and move from one place in the house to another. It sounds like a hurricane blowing outside. After the hurricane subsides I go through surveying hurricane damage. I imagine all the contents of the house in a snow globe. When hurricane Sue blows through its like shaking the snow globe vigorously and letting the contents of the snow globe settle. Same stuff redistributed in different places. Anyway writing this is helping me just let go and not care where anything is. I actually kinda giggle a little thinking about hurricane Sue blowing through on a regular basis. At least she feels she has a purpose and in her mind she is doing the right thing. First thing in the morning and right before bed is hurricane season around here.

Comments

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I like your way of looking at things, and dealing with them mentally. I try to find those things that help me cope too. Number one is God, may sound corny, but I talk to Him all of the time. Not just when things go wrong, but also when something good happens. Isn't it better to focus on some good and not just the bad? Like your reflections about Hurricane Sue, you've found a positive way to look at it, you're setting a good example for the rest of us by sharing and thank you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just Bill,

A good analogy; I can just picture it!  And like you, it makes me smile, although it’s sad.  When DH was still at home and “up and about”, he was more like a stealth aircraft than a hurricane.  He wasn’t one to rearrange often, but every once in awhile I’d make an interesting discovery - - a kitchen dishcloth draped over a bush deep in the garden, having been missing for months.  My personal highlight - - one flip flop (of a favorite pair) under a huge rock by the pool in the dead of winter.  He had a fondness for the outdoors and I learned that if I waited long enough, seasons change, and missing items would reappear.  I miss those scavenger hunts.  Thanks for a day brightener.  

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That is a good was to think of things, a hurricane blowing through. As long as the hurricane's activity doesn't bother you, good for you. We all learn to deal in different ways.

My DH likes to "help" by putting up the silverware & occasionally the dishes. Of course I let him because I'm usually in the kitchen watching where he's putting things. On occasion I'll leave the room and bam, that's when it happens. How he does it so quickly I have no idea. After months of have not enough silverware one day I found where he was putting it. In the garage, in his tool drawer. Think about it - we keep the silverware in a drawer in the kitchen. I'm guessing in his mind he knew it went in a drawer and out to the garage to the toolbox he went - putting it in a drawer.  Now when I notice things missing I know where to go.......until he changes where he puts them!

You just have to try and smile and go on with your day. That's how I handle it.

eagle

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just Bill thank you for the smiles today! I can just see your hurricane Sue! What a beautiful description. And your attitude is so encouraging. Many days I wish my dh actually did something, even if it creates a mess it would be better than doing nothing. He just sits and when he tries to talk sometimes I can figure it out, most of the time not so good. But God is still on His throne and I trust Him to show me the way. 

Hurricane Sue keep on keeping on! 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I love it, Bill. Glad you have a good outlook for things like this.
  • Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I hadn't thought about this one in awhile. About a year ago I went to get my hair done and when I came home all of the exterior door mats were gone. I still haven't found those! Other things though do a magic act and disappear and eventually I find them. I have found our keys and garage door opener in the microwave/convection oven. That's now unplugged and stuffed full of pantry items. He once collected the hanging rolls of toilet paper from each bathroom, I don't know what he did with those, hopefully used them. I find kitchen stuff in all kinds of interesting places, living room, bedroom, lower level, garage. I've started to think of it as an Easter Egg Hunt. He likes to stuff things into the refrigerator. I'm not sure why, but at least I know to look carefully each time I open it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more