Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sundowning question

My DH had sundowning months ago when first diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Seemed to last about a month. He's not sundowned for close to 4 months. And he's back at it again.

Does sundowning appear thru all seven stages?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Marie, that is an interesting question. I never had a problem with my wife sundowning, but I always thought it wasn't a problem very early or very late in progression. But just because those were my thoughts, that doesn't mean it's right.

Cecil has a point about people being further in the disease than the caregiver might think. When my wife passed, I would have said that she was in stage 5/6. Now I am convinced that she was well into stage 6, even though she did not display some of the really terrible symptoms others have reported here. Even though we have guidelines for stages, it's not always easy to figure it out.

• danapuppy
    danapuppy Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I'm trying to figure this phenomenon out too. My honey seems to get anxious  at duskish. I read that turning on the lights before she starts getting upset may help. So, I go around and turn on all the lights while it is still day light. She still appears to worry, but it is not as bad as the scene in "The Notebook". I'm curious about other's experiences.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You might also try closing the blinds too. That way he might not be able to see the darkness outside.
  • dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited September 2023

I've seen a lot of discussions of sundowning, and I also found a good article from the Mayo Clinic.

The unfortunate thing is that there's no single known cause, or a simple answer on reducing it but there are a few things you can try as listed in the article.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Its an anxious time for caregiver and LO since you never know what will happen when that duskish time comes. I also turn on all lights and close the blinds. If I feel that my LO might be getting anxious or agitated, I give my LO a Seroqual to hopefully calm down.

• Pathfinder52
    Pathfinder52 Member Posts: 37
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Sundowning got its name because of our natural response to light, as humans we're wired to think of sunset as the perfect time to prepare for bed -- our loved ones with Alzheimer's have the response they do (chaos & confusion) in reaction to the changing light of the day waning, now that it is autumn, sooner than perhaps just a few months ago!

My DH hits his stride right around 5 pm and unless he gets his evening dose of Seroquel, he'll keep at it all night -- the drug seems to slow down his ever-worried mind and let him get some rest.

Wishing you the best!

--p

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living