Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mail call

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
We live in a neighborhood where your mail is still delivered right to your house.  In our case the mail slot is by the front door and comes right into the house.  DH has taken upon himself to be the caretaker of all the mail and go through it first by himself which is fine with me.  Even junk mail seems important to him.  The problem is, if I'm not here or at work the mail always seems to be put in "safe places."  When I ask him where it is I'm always met with the "What mail?" or "I don't know."  So the search begins.  Today I found the mail dating from the first week of Jan.  I've found mail stuffed between DVDS, in his bedside table, in a drawer in the garage, always someplace new.  My debit card expires the end of the month and I received an email if I didn't get it by a certain date to call them.  I'm sure it's in the house but don't know where.  When I called the bank that rhymes with Mel's Cargo to have them send me a new one they ended up canceling the one I still have.  It's a huge hassle to actually buy gas with cash anymore.  I'm also expecting an insurance payment for the items stolen out of our storage unit for over 7K and am scared to death he's going to hide it if I'm not here.  I'm not worried about utilities or credit card billsbecause they get paid online but this just frustrates the heck out of me.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Maybe just go to the P.O. and put a hold on your mail until you recieve the check you're waiting on. Then if your still concerned maybe get a P.O. Box for a while. He will miss the mail, so just drop all the junk mail by the inside drop of your mail drop. Good Luck. Hugs Zetta
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Fill in the mail slot and put a mailbox where the slot used to be. The mail box will have  a key to open.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Get a PO Box and fill out a change of address at the post office for everything for everyone at your house to go to the post office.   Join the post office informed delivery option - you will get an email showing you everything the  post office is dropping off at your address.  Keep the post office box even after you get the items you are expecting. You can gradually notify all your accounts of your new mailing address.

You do not want to miss something important like your property tax bill 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    A P.O. Box is best. I suspect a new locked mailbox would trigger behavior issues. You could deliver a bunch of junk mail when you leave in the morning for him to find if you feel it matters to him.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Victoria - I guess I don’t understand  why PO Boxes in your area don’t have informed delivery. I have a PO Box in a very small village ( 500 people) and I have it.  The images are done at the area distribution center, not at my local post office.  

Regardless, I think Kevcoy needs to have a PO Box because  mail is not safe being delivered to the house since DH is hiding it.  The informed delivery is helpful but the mail is still lost in their home or thrown  away   

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Quilting brings calm wrote:

Get a PO Box and fill out a change of address at the post office for everything for everyone at your house to go to the post office.   Join the post office informed delivery option - you will get an email showing you everything the  post office is dropping off at your address.  Keep the post office box even after you get the items you are expecting. You can gradually notify all your accounts of your new mailing address.

You do not want to miss something important like your property tax bill 

This.  It's amazing where they hide the most important mail while you see your house cluttered with flyers and solicitations.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more