Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Also starting to help in an association

French
French Member Posts: 445
100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi everybody

I read that Ed began to imply in an association, me too ! I think I am not able to help others by speaking with them. It is too difficult to continue to speak about this desease. I wanted to help in another manner.

1 month ago the association we followed since my partner diagnosis (and that helped a lot when I had te repatriate him) called me because they need the help from somebody used to write projects so that to obtain money (I'm a researcher and spend my time to research... money for my team). The other board members in the associations are psychiatrist, geriatrist, nurse... they are not used with such work.

The project: 2 houses for 8 EOAD people each, with carpe diem method. sorry, it's Canada but in french https://alzheimercarpediem.com/lapproche-carpe-diem/lapproche-carpe-diem/

You remember how finding a place for my partner was impossible here. We really need special houses for EOAD.

I participate to forums, seminars on inclusive housing so that to understand how we can build these houses. The main difficulty is the financial and legal aspects. We candidated to a grant and obtained the first place. We now have money to pay somebody that will have time to start to build the project with us (we are all volounteers and working). Now we have to find a place, money to by it, and then the houses, a company to manage them... Our municipality is interested in the project and will certainly help with a plot of land in a new district. The hunt for sponsors has begun ! This is huge (it will take at least 4 years), but also very motivating.

Almost 6 months now. I begin to be better, but he is still always in my mind.

good news : I know that I will be able to stay in my house.  But I'm questionning everything: my work, my lifestyle... I would like to stop working or starting something new, but with 3 students to feed, it isn't the moment.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    French, congratulations on your hard work and what a great project--sounds like a great use of your talents.  I am glad to hear from you.  I imagine having something worthwhile to do helps in recovery.  I have been following Ed's posts too, and am thinking myself about how to foster new interests/ undertakings in order to lessen my isolation and grief (even though my partner is still with us).  It will take a while, I haven't found the right fit yet.  Hope your sons are doing well, too.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I want to second m1. Bravo
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

French, that is fabulous! Thank you for working on that. It's important work, as you know there is a need. We could use you on this side of the pond.

M1, you will find your place when you have time to devote. There are a lot of different avenues that would appreciate the help, whether doing it on your own or with an organization.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What a wonderful way to contribute!

Iris

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

French, I followed your link. The program sounds really very good, but I wonder if you can get enough people to put in the time required to implement the goals? Hopefully the answer to this is a big "YES".

For anyone wanting to access the site, here is a live link. If you don't read French, copy the web address, then paste it into translate.google.com https://alzheimercarpediem.com/lapproche-carpe-diem/lapproche-carpe-diem/  

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

There is already one house on the carpe diem model in France, for EOAD. It has been built by Blandine Prévost who was diagnosed at 38. https://www.amadiem.fr/

But, yes Ed, you are right, buisness model is touchy. But here you can have a lot subventions if you can't afford for MCF.

For example, even my partner who still had his complete salary (thanks to social security and insurance) got 80% of the cost of home caregivers. If your pension is less, you can get a subvention covering 100% of the caregivers' cost.

The idea of inclusive houses is to share theses subventions and caregivers costs. After, for the other costs (food, rent...) the house managment team helps people who need to get subventions.

Mixity is very important for me. Rich or not, when Alz is here, you have the same need : to be cared with benevolence.

There has been a scandal here 1 year ago about ORPEA, expensive MCF were making a lot of money on the backs of the elderly. They where rationing depends, food...

Inclusive houses are a social answer: social, local and non profit. They are developing a lot thanks to associations.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sounds nice
  • Elio52
    Elio52 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Just because a speaker is expensive doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be the best quality. It’s important to remember that there are many factors that determine the quality of a speaker. Focus on the sound quality and features rather than just the price tag. https://speakersfeed.com/best-speakers-for-turntable/
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

French:  good to hear from you. I am cheering you on in this endeavor. 

My family has started such a home ( we call it Adult Family Home). We have four residents and are expanding to six. It took two years of planning before we opened last fall with the hoops you have to jump through here. I sense that you are not intimidated by the time and bureaucracy involved!

I wish you bonne chance. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney