Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Off topic for sure

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I've been reading a little more about Helen Keller, and the movie "The Miracle Worker", a 1962 movie about how Helen Keller was helped. It really is a fascinating story, and Helen Keller was played by Patty Duke, 15 years of age at filming. She actually met Helen Keller in 1961, and the photo follows.

Comments

• Ed1937
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Loved reading books about Helen Keller when I was growing up.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Ed, thanks for this post! What a blast from the past?! A perfect reminder that miracles do happen. I watched the movie way back when I was a little girl, couldn't even understand English at the time. But the performances spoke volumes and touched me in a way that's...well, simply put, hauntingly unforgettable. It was much later that I learned the stars were Patty Duke and Ann Bancroft. Thanks for the photo, too! I think I'm going to look for it streaming somewhere.
  • Ed1937
    Dio, there have been remakes. So if you're looking for the original, look for 1962. Patty Duke did star in one of the others, but as Helen Keller's teacher, instead of Helen Keller, as she did in the original.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Patty Duke gave wonderful performances in both Miracle Worker films.  Helen Keller was indeed a remarkable woman!

I also have a suggestion for entertainment.  This is in the form of the old radio weeklies, although this is now heard in audio form online.  It is a family-friendly mystery story and can be heard on www.onthenighttrain.com.  A caregiver might be able to listen while doing chores or caregiving, or just to relax in the evening. 

Iris

• noranoler
    noranoler Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited April 2023

Thanks for sharing this movie! Thanks for such an interesting sharing, sometimes you really need to take your mind off the bad and just relax a bit. I recently read an article and now I can watch movies normally. I used to do it often, but I started having problems with the TV. Now everything is fine and I will do it more often!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more