Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Confusion increasing

Ddoes the confusion with Alzheimer's just keep increasing? My DH with Alzheimer's diagnosed last July, just seems to keep getting more and more confused in last couple months. He's still mobile, but can't figure out how to open car door, can't figure out how to get seatbelt on or off. Gets so confused when I give meds to him, can't figure out the tablets go in his mouth.  So many things, he just cannot seem to do, that before we're just automatic. He can't figure out how to get into the bed. I'm afraid if confusion keeps processing, I will not be able to take care of him at home.

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

All of the above are everyday issues for my DW.

Yes you can probably expect more confusion as it's par for the course.

However if it is sudden then check for UTI or some other medical issue that could be exacerbating things. Others will have more wisdom. I can only share from my own experiences.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Marie,

It will increase, and I hear some people change slowly, others more quickly lose their ability to do things.  they forget the procedure for things, and it doesn't come back.  My DH hung on to some tasks for quite a while, but yes he did forget how to do seat belts, stairs were hard to figure out, holding a pen, getting dressed, etc. I had him tested for UTI's several times, but in each case it was the progression of Alzheimer's.  I did move him to memory care after a hospitalization.  I hope that you can get assistance in any way you feel is right, it's really hard to do it by yourself.  Wherever your path leads, God bless you!!

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Losing the ability to do more and more things is the core defining characteristic of dementia. I wouldn't call it confusion per se as the lost skills are just gone. The confusion about how to open a car door is as though they have never encountered one before. At least that has been our experience. 

Earlier on my DW might lose the ability to do something briefly but might gain it back. But that gain was always temporary, the first loss of a skill meant it was due to be entirely lost soon, even if it came back for a short while. There has been no skill she lost and then was somehow able to fully relearn.

My DW has now lost the ability to do almost anything and could not survive without 24/7 assistance for virtually everything. She is now forgetting how to swallow and has begun hospice. Others have posted that their LO has had swallowing issues for quite some time and the ability comes and goes. This has been encouraging to me. So some skills may linger in an on and off state for years I guess.

My DW was also tested for UTIs whenever major losses happened, but it was always negative. Sorry that I couldn't provide more encouraging news but forewarned is forearmed. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Marie, I'm sorry, but I don't remember what stage he is in. It has only been 8 months or so since diagnosis. If he is in the earlier stages, it would not hurt to ask the doc to check for a UTI or other infections. Just get it done ASAP, so if there is an infection, it can be cleared before damage is permanent. I wish you luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more