Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Interesting book

saltom
saltom Member Posts: 126
100 Comments First Anniversary
Now that DH is in memory care I have some free time for reading. I realize many of you don't have this luxury. But I do want to recommend a book called "Making the Rounds with Oscar" by David Dosa, a gerontologist who works in the memory ward of a SNF in Rhode Island. Oscar is an ordinary residential cat on the ward who knows instinctively when a dementia patient is going to die and keeps vigil in the patients room letting "caregivers and loved ones know that it's time to say good-bye." Quote from book jacket.  Dr. Dosa has interviewed the patients' families and the book is not only about Oscar but  the needs of the families and caregivers and the lack of adequate training for the medical profession in dealing with these needs.  Its is a short book and can be read a few pages at a time. I found it very affirming much like this forum for me. Copywrite was 2010 and I think a movie may have been made about Oscar.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank you very much. Interesting!
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Wow-that sounds awesome, Thank you Saltom,

Michele

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband