Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Totally unexpected re: awareness

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I got a call from the newspaper reporter. He had a lot going on today, and asked me if I would be willing to give an interview over the phone. Of course I would. We were only about 5 minutes or so into the interview, when I became emotional, and told him I was sorry, but I couldn't continue. He was very understanding. He had already interviewed over 50 people regarding dementia. He will call me again within the next few days or so. I found myself reliving the dementia experience. It was so hard, and totally unexpected. I'm so glad I wasn't in the middle of a presentation when that happened. What would I have done then? Now I have to rethink if I really want to try to do the presentations.

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Mayor Ed,

You are a Gentleman and would have done the exact same thing. There is nothing wrong with showing your emotions. You were sharing fond memories about the love of your life. Hugs Zetta 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    It's still a very recent loss Ed.  Guess you learned something though didn't you? These sudden realizations can pack a punch. I felt that way when i had the flat tire recently and there was no one i could call. It felt terrible.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Ed,

Cathartic tears. You are human and allowed to feel and share the depth of your loss and grief. Perhaps if you write down you and your wife’s journey (outline, first?) it will help with your processing and coming to terms, making it easier for you to speak out loud in the future. The more you share via expressing your feelings, the lighter the load. Perhaps your joyous memories will have more room. You are very wise and have much knowledge regarding this journey that can be of help to others. Go slow to go fast later. And if you decide to just share here on Alz Connected, you’re still doing great beneficial work! You’ve helped me and many others right here. That’s enough. No pressure as God knows you’ve already paid your dues. 

Does anyone know the outreach size in terms of membership numbers on this site? I’ve often wondered. 

Take good care of you, Ed, too. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nowhere wrote:

Perhaps if you write down you and your wife’s journey (outline, first?) it will help with your processing and coming to terms, making it easier for you to speak out loud in the future. 

I did that. Less than 2 months ago, I met with another man whose wife had alz. We talked for over 2 hours, and I had no problem talking to him about it. That's why it was so unexpected when it happened. Thank you.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I believe we all suffer PTSD from this experience (I'm not trying to be offensive to people who have trauma-related PTSD), it's a different kind of PTSD, more chronic, like being punched over and over for years, and I think this has a tendency to well up at unexpected times.

All we can do is weather the storm and know that we may not ever have total control over it.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed your the man. I want to say that to tell a story and not give the sense, i.e. the  emotional sense is only telling a part, the tears of your testimony are part of your story. Jesus wept is the shortest verse in the Bible. Many a child memorized it. But ask why did Jesus wept and you stump the majority of folks. The answer is " see how much He loved Lazarus." Give what you got don't hold back tell it like it is.

Stewart

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney