Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stupid Song

John1965
John1965 Member Posts: 104
Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
Eric Carmen’s “All by Myself” came on the radio on my way home. It hit a little different. I used to make fun of that song. The Raspberries rocked!

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi John-Ouch can't even listen to that one......and many others

Michele

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I was in the car, listening to one of my favorites on an oldies station. The Beatles, «Yesterday» came on and I got a lump in my throat.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

“In My Life” by the Beatles always gets me, as does “Perhaps Love” by John Denver.  “If I should live forever and all my dreams come true, my memories of love will be of you.”

But, should “Now and Forever” by Carole King come on the radio while I’m driving, I’d have to pull over!  That song just wrecks me. “I miss the tears, I miss the laughter; I miss the day we met and all that followed after….” 

Enough melancholia; I’m off to the gym to cuss out the elliptical.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

I'm asking DW's memory care director to play these two songs during their next staff development:

https://youtu.be/4z2DtNW79sQ

https://youtu.be/okMdC9-YqrE

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Roy Orbison's Last Kiss had me projectile sobbing.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill thanks for projectile sobbing. I know it's not funny but it hit Me and put a smile on my face. 

Bf you hit my song by John dever.

Oh how the meaning changes with the season we are in.

Thanks John for starting this thread music means so much in so many ways.

I love to hear others even if it means we share those moments when a song hits us and moves us to tears. We would have those tears if we didn't have a someone we shared our song with!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The song that alway slays me is the Garcia/Hunter song “To Lay Me Down”. 

“To lay me down, to lay me down, to lay me down, one last time,

To lay me downTo lie with you, once more, to lie with youWith our dreams entwined togetherTo wake beside you, my love still sleepin'To tell sweet lies, one last time and say good night
  • IWBH1990
    IWBH1990 Member Posts: 20
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

The song Memories from Maroon 5........"and the memories, bring back memories bring back you...........

"There's a time that I remember, when I did not know no pain

When I believed in forever, and everything would stay the sameNow my heart feel like December when somebody say your name

'Cause I can't reach out to call you, but I know I will one day, yeah"

.......and the memories, bring back memories bring back you

That's all I have now, "memories" as DW of 50 years passed away from EOA 10 months ago.

Dave 

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

There are a lot of songs that tear me up, but I think the two that do it the most are Dolly Parton, I will always Love You. And Elvis Presley - I'll Remember You

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just had to add a song that's getting me these days, "The Place where the lost things go" from Mary Poppins Returns.  The lyrics just speak to me:

Do you ever lieAwake at night?Just between the darkAnd the morning lightSearching for the thingsYou used to knowLooking for the placeWhere the lost things go
    Do you ever dreamOr reminisce?Wondering where to findWhat you truly missWell maybe all those thingsThat you love soAre waiting in the placeWhere the lost things go
    Memories you've shedGone for good you fearedThey're all around you stillThough they've disappearedNothing's really leftOr lost without a traceNothing's gone forever

Only out of place

Gets me every time.  But sometimes it's good to have music to remind us it's OK to let go sometimes.  YMMV

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Beachfan,  One of the songs at DH's funeral was “In My Life” by the Beatles, but played by cello.  And...Perhaps Love AND Carole King's Now and Forever are both on my walking playlist.  

With tear-filled eyes,  Lills.  

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lills,

Sometimes I think you are “my sister from another mister”- - we have some things on common.  Occasionally, late at night, when I’m feeling sad, I’ll play myself a favorite, melancholy song or two and have a snotty, cathartic cry. Then it’s off to bed.  I hope you are doing well; I think about you often.  

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 853
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    The old song, It had to be you, gets me every time.  And Moon River makes me sad too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more