Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dehydration and Incontinence

Atlantajan
Atlantajan Member Posts: 5
Second Anniversary First Comment

My DH was diagnosed 8 years ago; he is about to be 73. He is incontinent, and I have had him on two pairs of Night Defense Depends. Additionally, we have been to Urgent Care twice because he was dehydrated, even though I keep water in front of him and keep telling him to drink it. I have switched to Crystal Light lemonade, and he does like that. He also drinks a Boost every day. I have started waking up at 2-3 am to change his Depends, which are often soaked. But it takes me 1-2 hours to get back to sleep, and I feel like I am often exhausted. My question is: How do I reconcile hydration with incontinence?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Atlantajan-

Incontinence is a laundry problem. Dehydration can cause significant health and comfort issues like dry mouth, dry eyes, constipation, muscle cramps, dizziness, weakness, increased confusion, and heart palpitations. 

In your shoes I would take steps to manage the laundry aspect. There are better overnight options than Depends. Many caregivers like Northshore and Parentgiving for online incontinence supplies. You could also try adding either disposable or washable pads to the bed so you don't have to strip the entire thing daily. 

HB

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I use the depends and then a diaper type over that. They have a waterproof lining. Then he is on a waterproof pad.  This helps.
  • Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    It amazed me how he could pee so much and not drink anything. The body starts using the water from the body, such as skin and other organs. The body is trying to survive.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Another vote for parentgiving.com. I think they are an excellent online company. They have a large choice of incontinence wear, and you can order samples for $2.99. Samples come 2 to a pack. I would recommend ordering some different samples to see which ones work best. What worked best for us might not be best for you.

You can also layer the bed to help. First a waterproof mattress cover, followed by a waterproof pad, a fitted sheet, then a top sheet. Then a waterproof pad, a fitted sheet, then a top sheet. Use as many layers as you want. Then if you have to change the bed in the middle of the night, you can pull off 1 layer, throw it out of the way to wash when you have the time. You can have a dry bed in very little time that way.

Lgw, you said "I use the depends and then a diaper type over that. They have a waterproof lining. " Since the depends has a moisture barrier, which would inhibit the moisture from easily passing to the diaper, you might be better off using just a better brand of incontinence wear. Just a consideration. You will probably get less leaks that way. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more