Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Traveling with Dementia Spouse

If there is a need to travel with your spouse, here is a possible aide.   I placed an apple luggage tag in my husband's wallet just in case we should get separated.   While I stuck to him like glue, it did give me some peace of mind as I knew I had something to track him with if needed.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Excellent, Denise! Thank you.
  • tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary
    My wife, who has early stage AZ, and I both have iPhones. We have given each other permission to track each other using the FindMy app on our phones (and iPads). It works.
  • Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Tgeno,

My husband's alzheimers is more advanced as he cannot understand how to use the regular cell phone anymore. That is why I have to use the luggage tracker.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I have a neck wallet and have an apple tag on it so I can find the ^^%$%#% thing

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

What a great idea! I am going to put one in his wallet today! I am also going to do the iPhone app - since he either forgets his wallet or his phone almost every time he leaves the house! Thank you for the suggestion!

• tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

I'm also exploring the Life360 app. The basic version is free. A friend, whose husband is a cop, uses it to track her husband. More premium versions come with tiles, which are like Apple airtags. What I'm liking is that it seems to be more real time than the FindMy app. For example, it alerts me when my DW leaves the house.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more