Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Adjusting well

It has been 10 days since I moved my husband to a new memory care. I talked to the director today and she said she is surprised at how well he has adjusted. I think it is because he has no memory of the past at all and I don’t think he ever realized that he was someplace new. I am surprised at how much better their care is. She had full nurses notes in front of her. They track his intake to make sure he is getting enough fluid and calories. They help feed him at all meals. They wake him at 5:15 am to change him to prevent skin breakdown and he goes back to sleep. They put a very nice automatic lift chair in his room that he seems to like sleeping in during the day. For each meal they put three glasses in front of him while they serve meals - milk, water and juice - and they make sure he finishes them. The facility is older but very clean. No fancy activities but he was not partaking in any of them. All this for $2000.00 a month less. I am very happy with the move and glad that I did it.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Gig, I'm thrilled for you. It's always good to see positive outcomes.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Glad to hear it too GH.  It's been a year today since I took my partner away from home/to the hospital.  A hard day.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Wow! What a difference in care- seems to have moved from reactive to preventative! You must be breathing so much easier. Congratulations on the good decision to move him.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That is great for him and you

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig, So happy to hear the move is working out for both of you.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 853
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Gig, I’m so happy to hear this! What a blessing to know that he is well taken care of, and adjusting well.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig that is great. Especially the great care the most important thing. Praise the Lord
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Gig Harbor wrote:
    It has been 10 days since I moved my husband to a new memory care. I talked to the director today and she said she is surprised at how well he has adjusted. I think it is because he has no memory of the past at all and I don’t think he ever realized that he was someplace new. I am surprised at how much better their care is. She had full nurses notes in front of her. They track his intake to make sure he is getting enough fluid and calories. They help feed him at all meals. They wake him at 5:15 am to change him to prevent skin breakdown and he goes back to sleep. They put a very nice automatic lift chair in his room that he seems to like sleeping in during the day. For each meal they put three glasses in front of him while they serve meals - milk, water and juice - and they make sure he finishes them. The facility is older but very clean. No fancy activities but he was not partaking in any of them. All this for $2000.00 a month less. I am very happy with the move and glad that I did it.

I'm so happy for you and him.  I will say that I heard a lot of "but it's so old" from people about the NH we used for my mom, but that place was IMMACULATE and their care was exactly as you describe in this new place, the tracking of intake and fluids, changing in a timely fashion, and as they get to know him better, you will see they will adjust things to fit his personality and habits.  We had activities, my mom used to enjoy watching and just being in the spaces activities were occurring - and music was definitely enjoyed by all.  One thing I noticed is that all of the staff were very engaged with the residents - even the person who cleaned my mom's room "knew" her and would stop and ask how she was or notice a new picture in her room, a new outfit she had on.  

I'm like you - white walls and contemporary furnishings are nice, but if the facility is older but clean, with excellent care - you can't beat that.  It helps build trust that he's okay and you don't have to spend all of your time worrying about what's going on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more