Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH's condition has improved

dhyink
dhyink Member Posts: 26
10 Comments First Anniversary

After a rough 4 months, DH is finally improving.  The subdural hematoma has resolved, the IVC filter is in place to catch blood clots, and we have finally established a care team.  The urologist inserted a foley catheter to help my husband's problems emptying his bladder.  Since getting the catheter, DH has not had another UTI (fingers crossed), he is not soaking his incontinence briefs, and the sores on his butt have healed.    There are some issues with bladder spasms and leakage, but it is minor compared to our previous situation.  

Once we took care of the physical issues, his cognitive abilities improved enough to let me know what he wants for end-of -life care.   We completed the DNR and MOST forms and I made sure that our estate documents (DPOA, Wills, etc) have been recorded in the state of NC.   He's able to have short conversations and enjoys looking at old family videos and pictures.  

I am not sure how long this will last, but I am so thankful for some good days.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I'm glad you're having them too--enjoy while you can, it's so fleeting.  Maybe good things for you to remember down the road.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Good days are GREAT days when we're talking about this stuff. I'm glad for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more