Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Constantly Talking!

My DH is driving me crazy!  I work at home and when he isn't sleeping he is constantly talking non-stop!  I can't even get on the phone when he is awake because every time I do so, he starts talking!  I have to wait until he is asleep to make my calls.  Its not like I can leave the room and work somewhere else because he follows me all over the house.  Is anyone elses' LO doing this?

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    This can be a phase for some.  When I was going through it I couldn't stand it, but when the talking was no longer possible, I cannot tell you how much I missed it.

Does a closed door stop him, perhaps with a sign saying I AM WORKING?  NO TALKING?
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi,

I could have written this myself.  My DH constantly talks. It sometimes drives me crazy when we are with someone, but there is no stopping him. I've tried saying shhhhh, which stops it for half a second and then he is back to talking.  He only stops when he is sleeping or at a doctor appointment.  

When I am talking on the phone, he will repeat the last two or three words I say.  When we are watching TV, he constantly mumbles and will also repeat the last few words that are spoken.  

For the most part, I can ignore him.  Sometimes I turn the TV volume up quite loud and it overpowers his talking.  He will pause for a bit, then start up again.  I can only leave the volume up for a few moments before I turn it back to normal.  

His talking/mumbling started a half a year ago, approximately. He is slowly moving out of stage five into six. 

Hang in there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    How about noise cancelling headphones Judy, would they help? You could come up with a fiblet about why you have to wear them.
  • ????
    ???? Member Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    My wife and I have been married 45 years.  We found out a year and half ago that she has Alzheimer's.  Most of our lives when we were on a long drive or trip, she would hardly say one word, I tried to get conversations going, but it never panned out.  Oh I wished she would talk to me.  Recently she just talks no stop, now I wish she would be quiet.  Nothing we can do about this, it is what it is.
  • michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I thought I was the only one dealing with this. Thank you for the post. My DH talks constantly. It is impossible to watch tv. He talks/mutters through the whole show nonstop. I say "just a minute I want to see this part" and he pauses briefly then is off running! It is nonstop all day. I can usually manage but some times it drives me nuts! I tell myself he can't help it and that usually works but still a challenge. Good luck, it is difficult.
  • JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I love that idea!  I could tell him I have to wear them because I have to take calls.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more