Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How Can I be in Shock?

Kenzie56
Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
Took DH to his doctor today.  Yesterday he had a seizure and for the past month he has been totally incontinent, only saying around 5 words per day, napping often, unsteady on his feet,  shakes on the right side, and not too interested in eating.  Today, his doctor recommended I contact hospice. I knew this was coming...but when you hear the words, it is a real gut-punch.  I've been sitting at my computer for an hour in a daze.  I can't seem to move forward. He has declined so much since January that last month, I pre-paid for his funeral arrangements and made all those decisions - telling myself it was to prepare for what is coming "down the road".  Down the road seems to be closer and I feel like I am in a state of shock.  How can I be in shock when I have been living this nightmare day in and day out for the past 7-8 years? Did I tuck this so far down in my soul for survival, that it is just now rearing its ugly head? Well, I thought if I could share with the best support group ever...maybe I can move forward with my next steps, for DH's sake.

Comments

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Kenzie, it is all so very hard.  I am sorry...just hoping you can continue to pull your inner strength together to get through whatever is coming your way.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Kenzie sending prayers for you! Nothing about this horrible disease is ever easy. We think we have been preparing ourselves for what we know is coming but we never can in reality. Hugs! 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Kenzie, I'm sorry. It is just so, so hard.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think you expressed it very accurately. You've tucked it it away because we/you are so busy living moment to moment, day to day so when that day finally comes we really aren't ready for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  It must feel like the bottom has dropped out of your life.

I have no words of wisdom, other than to say that when my mom passed, hospice was always there to help us as well as Mom, and I hope they can do things to help you find peace.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sending you cybersupport.  We're never ready.  I'm so sorry.
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I can identify with your feelings. My DH is in memory care and now on hospice but I have found if I think of hospice as being 100 % helpful rather than thinking of it as a precursor of death, that has sustained me. They have been a wonderful addition to his care and you will have a nurse, social worker, chaplain visiting and helping you navigate these troubling and debillitating waters. I too had made funeral arrangements last Nov. He has been in memory care since Aug 2022.

I am sending you supportive (((hugs ))). 

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    Thank you for the support, warmth, cyberhugs and kind words. It did help bring my emotions back under control. I didn't make any calls yesterday...but today is a new day and I will push forward. Thank you, my friends.
  • Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Kenzie,

I am so very sorry.   I am sure you have developed certain strategies that have gotten you through those tough days you have dealt with.   Think about what they are.  Such as my simple thing is "one day at a time" or even minute at a time.  Putting one foot in front of the other or one action you need to take.   At this point, your spouse may not be suffering but you are and you need to please take care of yourself and you will get through this just as you have all these years.  You are amazing and strong and you will get through this.  Prayers and hugs to you Kenzie.

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Hospice is amazing.  They help take the stress away.  It is nice to lean on them and their support.  My prayers are  with you.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Kenzie, I know, it is so hard to hear and to fathom, and I'm sorry.  If you can, lean on Hospice, the doctors, your family, anyone who can help you.  Thinking of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more