Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW starting to not recognize me

wizmo
wizmo Member Posts: 96
Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW age 58, diagnosed about 6 years ago and entering stage 6 is reaching the point where she does not always recognize me or our relationship.  This can happen at the most inconvenient times, like just before going to bed in the evening.  She wants me to "go home" to some other place because this is "her house" and I should not be there.  I try to show her all the pictures of me/us around the house and point out the rings on her finger to remind her we are married and have been together for 18 years.  Sometimes this works, but has grown less effective as her condition progresses.  I know she is not capable of logical/rational explanations especially during an agitated state.

I expect eventually we will not be able to share a bed or bedroom, and I won't be there to monitor/respond easily to whatever happens in the night - inability to find the bathroom,  increasing psychotic episodes, etc.

For any of you who have gotten through this stage with PWD still at home, how did you manage?  When she wants to go to bed alone I can let that happen but concerned she also has separation anxiety.  She can recover from an agitated moment in 30-60 minutes and then will wonder where I am, why did I leave her alone.  A few times she initially has gone to sleep on a sofa to get away from me, then returning to bed on her own within a few hours - and of course not understanding/remembering how did she get there.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"I expect eventually we will not be able to share a bed or bedroom, and I won't be there to monitor/respond easily to whatever happens in the night - inability to find the bathroom,  increasing psychotic episodes, etc." 

I'm sorry. My wife always knew who I was, but I always got up with her if she got up during the night, for fear she would fall. What worked for us was a bed alarm that activated an alarm when she would get off the sensor pad. You could use the alarm in another room if you weren't in the same room with her.

• Sitemsek
    Sitemsek Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I wish I had advice for you. For me, this is one of my big fears...that she will forget me or worse, that she will think she's still married to her first husband despite us being married over 30 years. Praying for you and all of us.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes and all of the above! My wife doesn't remember our home, where  the bathroom is. She thinks I'm married to my mom, etc and etc. Thinks she lives within walking distance and always says she loves me but has to go home. Shadows me everywhere and I mean everywhere. 

Not sure how long before she forgets who I am but that seems to be creeping up. 

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Wizmo,

Sometimes I am DH’s sister, sometimes his wife. I didn’t realize this until a couple of months ago as he always calls me Sweetie. It hurts at times, but when I do convince him that I am his wife, he says that makes him very happy and gives me a hug. 

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    My DH went through a period where he didn’t know my name although he seemed to know I was someone who belonged here. He also wasn’t able to dress himself or eat on his own, both of which he can do now. He went through a change in medications which solved those problems. That was about a year and a half ago. He always knows who I am now and can feed and dress himself. He can also eat most foods where before he had problems swallowing a lot of different foods. We have always slept together. I hope it continues.
  • Kurtis B
    Kurtis B Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My DW will sometimes think there are two of me, and I'm not the Kurt that is her husband.  Or sometimes she can't believe we've been married over 30 years.  She will ask me when I am going home, thinking I don't live in the house.  In those cases I have just said, OK I'm leaving now, go out the front door, sit in the car out front, then usually within about 10 minutes she will call me and ask me when I'll be home, all good.
  • iowagirl1961
    iowagirl1961 Member Posts: 6
    Third Anniversary First Comment

My DH is just starting the people confusion stage but it has really progressed over the last few weeks. He was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type 3 years ago. I am interested in the response here from ImMaggieMae as she talked about change in medication. DH was just started on memantine; I do have a question into our doctor regarding the progression in people confusion and whether there is a correlation with the new medication. If ImMaggieMae is willing to share any more about medication change, I would find that helpful.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Iowagirl I went thru this a year ago my dw is now in mc. She is on olanzapine and escitalopram. She seems to know me most of the time now. But still confuses whether we are married or friends ect. Just an FYI this is an older post, if you click on the plus symbol and write your question in the title I am sure you will get more responses that way.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more