Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A covid question for the medical community

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
One of my daughters is disabled, and does kidney dialysis three times per week. About a week ago she had trouble breathing, and went to the hospital where she tested positive for covid. A son, who lives with me, and I went to be tested because we had been around her. We tested negative, but he entered a different hospital with psychiatric problems. They tested him again, and he was positive. They both had symptoms. I went back for a lab test for covid, and it was positive. I began having mild symptoms last night. The plan was that if I tested negative, he would stay with his sister for a week or so. But since I'm positive, would it be OK for him to stay with me when he gets released, which will probably be tomorrow or Monday. Or am I really taking a chance? They told my daughter that she would be OK to have him at her house because she will have antibodies. I'd really like him to stay with me for various reasons.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Mayor Ed-

I am sorry you've all gotten COVID. If you contacted your doctor for a Paxlovid prescription, ask them. If you haven't, please consider making the call. 

I'm not a medical person, but when my entire family came down with COVID (mom, DH, DS and maybe me) both my mom's pulmo and our telehealth NPs gave us the blessing to create our own little bubble over Christmas.

I hope you all feel better soon.

HB
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    What a conundrum, Ed!  So, chances are that you and your son have the same strain of COVID, and if you are just a day or so apart in contracting it, there wouldn't be any harm...but you should still contact your Primary care provider, to see what they recommend.  Your Primary will know if you have any special circumstances that have to be considered.  I wish for all of you to get over it ASAP!  And, praying that symptoms are mild for you.  Feel better and good luck to you all.
  • Ed1937
    Thank you both for the replies. I actually just spoke with my PCP. Looks like he'll be coming home with me. My symptoms are very mild now, but I know that could change.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ed, you probably all have the same strain.  It's a good idea to ask about Paxlovid, which must be begun within a few days.  I had a regular course without Paxlovid.  I don't see a problem with your son living with you.  Be sure to continue with Covid hygienic measures to try to prevent reinfection.  I agree, call your PCP for specific advice.  I hope you all have a mild course and get well soon!

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    No reason for him not to stay with you ed as long as you're feeling up to it.  Wishing you both a speedy recovery.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    No advice Ed but hoping for a quick recovery for you all.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    No advice either but praying for you all for quick recovery
  • Ed1937
    Thanks, friends! I'm taking molnupiravir 200mg, 4 pills twice daily. Seems to be working already. I just started it yesterday. Last night I was coughing almost non stop, causing my throat to be sore. And a headache. Much better this morning.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed, glad you are doing much better.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nice to hear you are feeling better Ed
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good to hear it.  Is son taking the same?  Keep healing!

Iris

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I was checking on how you and your son were doing Ed. Hopefully both of you are feeling better. Let us know.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney