Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer’s anger

I need help dealing with my husband who has early onset Alzheimer’s. I don’t know how to deal with his anger.He blames me for his drivers license being revoked, blames me for not wanting to buy another house… his cognitive score is 11/30 currently. I am so depressed and don’t know how to handle this. Does anyone else have a spouse who is always angry and hateful now?

Comments

• Richard Lee
    Richard Lee Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hello, my spouse will no doubt say the same things about me. There has been no diagnosis but it is easy to see what's coming. Your words are chilling. I don't think I can help, but reading your post helps me understand better. Thank you

As a angry spouse, I am extremely frustrated and embarrassed at my new found limitations as well as my actions. Deliberately talking slow or quiet to me is a trigger. Words are out of sequence when I listen to others in stressful situations and my mind becomes chaotic and paranoid at the same time. There is a sense of betrayal towards my spouse for not understanding what I am feeling.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Richard. It can help to develop a new mindset. You don't have a diagnosis yet, so you don't know if you have a treatable dementia mimic. There is no cure for the true dementias, but there are ways to accommodate. Please keep posting. Can you tell more about yourself?

Iris

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Richard, one of our emeritus members, Alan in Colorado, who was himself a psychologist, warned us that stress and anxiety reduce our cognition by HALF! This means if we can avoid, limit or alleviate stress, we can function better. It is very important to seek out stress relief tactics and to use them.

I personally began to use deep breathing as a stress relief tactic. There are other methods, including using the Serenity Prayer. Can you think of one or two tactics that you can use to avoid or relieve stress?

Iris

• angellts
    angellts Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited May 2023

Hi Richard,

I truly feel for your situation and fervently wish there were things to stop and reverse this disease’s progression. Thank you so much for generously sharing your experience. It helps me understand my father’s anger and what he is grappling with.

Iris, thank you for sharing tips on how to better cope with stress of experiencing cognitive decline. I hope my father will be open to your suggestions.

I wish for you both as much peace and comfort as possible for the future.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more