Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

seroquel and ativan

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 240
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hospice has put DH on Seroquel and ativan to help with his nighttime wanderings in memory Care. That seems to have helped but he seems very drowsy. He had been walking the halls for hrs at night. Anyone else have their loved on these meds?

This is my first post on the new format for this forum.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad it's helping--we put my partner on 25 mg of Seroquel at bedtime for sleep fragmentation/insomnia, and it worked great, later increased to 50 mg and she has stayed on that dose for over a year. I wonder if the combination of starting two things simultaneously was perhaps too much? I would ask them about dropping the Ativan, continuing the Seroquel, and if he stays too drowsy during the day, cutting the Seroquel dose back. And I would do it in that order.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I strongly second M1's take on the situation. I would say the exact same thing, "I wonder if the combination of starting two things simultaneously was perhaps too much? I would ask them about dropping the Ativan, continuing the Seroquel, and if he stays too drowsy during the day, cutting the Seroquel dose back. And I would do it in that order."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more