Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

wish I knew when future would begin again

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I'm so bored with changing diapers, and bringing my DH food that he may or may not eat. He will go for days not eating much at all then he will spend a day eating everything in sight. I know Hospice told me there would be ups and downs but I am tired of it. He can't get out of bed and yesterday he stopped talking. Vascular dementia like all dementias is HORRIBLE. I used to travel now I can't even go to my daughters for the weekend. Thank heaven she is coming for Easter. I just can't keep feeling sorry for myself. I know at this site I have lots of friends that feel the same way. May your holiday be uneventful in some ways and wonderful in the good ways that can still happen.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,410
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand even though my LOs are my parents. I had an epiphany a few weeks ago when I realized that I felt as if I was spending my days waiting for my life to restart. I know what I’m waiting on, and I know there is no way to know how far off that day is. Only people in our situations understand

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Everything goes on hold LGW, I agree. It's like there's no way to move forward until this chapter ends, and the end is not known.

Happy Easter to you too. Glad your daughter is coming and hope it is enjoyable.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

It is a journey like no other and we understand. It is good to hear that your daughter will be there with you over the holiday. If you should find yourself needing to talk to someone helpfully supportive any time of night or day, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a 24 Hour Helpline 365 days a year. It can be reached at, (800) 272-3900. There is no fee for this service. Should you decide to make contact, let the nice person answering the phone know that you wish to be transferred to a Care Consultant. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics. They are very supportive, great to talk to, have much information and can often assist us in our problem solving.

All Hospice's by mandate have Respite Care benefits for up to five days at a time. This can be done multiple different times at intervals; your Hospice RN can explain this to you. In Respite Care, the Hospice will have the patient admitted as an inpatient to a care facility setting where Hospice RNs will continue to follow the patient and the at home caregiver who has been physically and emotionally taxed can get a bit of rest and relief that is often so much needed, or perhaps even to take a short trip if desired. It may be worth looking into so you can recoup a bit.

Having Respite Care can be a huge positive and one hopefully caregivers would not have any feelings of guilt; it is about your own health.

May this weekend be a lovely visit with your daughter,

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living