Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wading through the suck

While the message board was down I was missing my ritualistic visitations to a chat room filled with people with problems similar to mine. I was going through withdrawal and I started searching for other similar chat rooms. I couldn't find any that weren't facebookized. They all suck. Plus I already have history with this group and I don't want to start over somewhere else. So like every other decision we make as caregivers wading through suck to get to an objective is what we do. So I will wade through the suck and continue hanging out here. I don't do facebook or twitter or any other forms of nonsense so I don't mind being comfortable in an uncomfortable environment where everything is unfamiliar and unnecessary. The only functionality I need is to be able to read what you people write, and write stuff you people can read. That is it. Everything else is just ignorable nonsense just like all that social media nonsense. They cant get rid of me by just changing their format. There really isn't much competition for this forum out there anyway. The world is evolving around me and that's just the way it is. Adapt or die.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree completely Bill. Some of us will stick with it. But sad for the others. It does indeed suck.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't think I will be able to adapt.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris, you already have. You successfully posted. If you have any how to questions just post them. This group would respond with help immediately. Stay the course. There really isn't anywhere else to go and you already know everyone here.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I aim to respond to newcomers, especially the newly diagnosed PWD who is scared. I want to tell them that this is a supportive place to express oneself. But I don't think so now. Too much irrelevant new stuff has been added, and important stuff has been removed or made worse. I don't feel like I can encourage newcomers to continue to post. I can manage for myself, but I can't help anyone else. The exposure of my personal information really disturbed me, I felt violated. I won't risk newcomers to lose their privacy. I managed the prior transition but this one is very hard to use.

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Where and how its privacy exposure? I don't want mine exposed and have had a very difficult time figuring out the new format. Mostly by trial and error so I don't remember what I did to get here each time.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,409
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

click on your avatar ( or shadow photo) on the top right. That takes you to your profile, there is an account and privacy choice to edit there

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

It is taking me some time to figure out how to use this new format. While I'm not impressed with it , for me, it is the only game in town so I will try to adapt. It reminds me of Facebook and I don't post my life on Facebook. I have posted much of it on this forum though and it will take me some time to adjust. Each of you are special to me and I hope you will stay around. I need you. You are like family.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Iris, give it a few days. I'm still undecided, but I'm not leaving without giving it/myself a chance.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm like you, Bill. My sentiments exactly. Thanks for saying it. I thought I was the only one having such thoughts all these years. You just nailed it for me and I know I'm not alone, and it's not my imagination.

It's not simply "resistance to change." I'm open to change; life is change; I adapt all the time. When it comes to accumulated knowledge and facts, and truths about the human experience there are some things that work better than others. Clearly my values are not reflected in the choices made by young new designers and trends in design whimsy. It feels very sad and so much is lost. It becomes harder and harder to find the support we long for, that we had before.

"facebookized," I knew immediately what you meant!

Over many years of observation and participation, it's been very disappointing and sad to watch the general decline of web forums into less useful formats. It's like they're being designed to purposely disappear in a day or two, to be hard to follow; if you blink it's gone. Without easy archival retrieval so much valuable material is lost, so much that could be very supportive and helpful.

If it weren't for information I was able to research in a couple excellent support forums I found in the 2000's I wouldn't have been able to navigate some difficult health issues I and my family had during that time. I too have searched for similar resources since, and found none. All that quality material is gone.

Pardon me for going on and on. This struck a chord with me. And I'm sitting here recovering from illness, so I have a few extra minutes to opine. Thanks for being here!

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Just Bill - Thank you for saying what we're all thinking. I looked into fakebook years ago and decided then it was all drama, pure fakery. People wanting attention for eating breakfast. Then my DH and I happened to have a meeting with a lawyer and I mentioned something about fakebook. This lawyer went on a tirade about what it is and what it is not. He explained in such detail that I immediately shut our account down and have not looked back. There is no good that will ever come of these so called social media's. It's nothing more than data mining, probably run by our government truth be known.

Gee I feel better now, thanks Bill! 🙂

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney