Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sometimes you just have to laugh til ya cry

April 3, 2023 (Sometimes you just gotta laugh til ya cry)

It’s 10:30 am. Jim is usually up by now. I’ve done most of my morning things, made coffee. Did up dishes, cleaned counters off, fed dogs, etc. I go in to check on him. He is still in bed. He says he catching up on the news and asks where are we? We’re in our bedroom. But where are we? In our house. But where are we? In Camas. Does anything look familiar to you? Yeah, Those pictures on the wall. He is referring to the oval, framed water colored prints of the Victorian ladies that we inherited from his mom, Kathleen.

4 or 5 more redundant questions about this house and mortgage. He went to garage to see his cars. That is how he tried to get his bearings.

He didn’t eat much. Cantaloupe and strawberry cream cheese bagel. Also, didn’t finish his medication. Complained of hot flash and sweats. Took him back to bed. EKG normal. Gave him rest of his meds. Put UFO program on for him. He’s not sweating now about 15 minutes later.

Is mom getting her hair done? I slept too long. I was having a dream about her. So mom and dad are gone and it’s only you and me left in the family. What do you mean? I better get myself in order. Did you sleep here last night? Do you live in this house? Yes. Are you married? Yes. What’s your husband’s name? Jim. You’re pulling my leg. I wake up and find a new wife every day. I like that dining room table. And mom and dad had it ever since. And you live in this house? Are you married? Yes. To who? To Jim. I think you must be smoking something. So I’m married to you? Yes. Where do you live? Here. Do I live here too? Yes. I must. I have a shitfull of cars in the garage. So I live in this house? Yep. Wow, what a difference a nap makes. I lose my mom and dad and my cars in just moments. Apparently when I go driving around you’re with me so I don’t get lost. I’m always with you. That’s right, you’re my wife, not my sister. So you live here permanently now, sweetheart? Yes. So, are you married? Oh wait, I’m not married to my sister. I could swear I drove over here this morning. Do we get along well. Yes. Good, I lost a mother and father in the last few days. So where is your house? Same as yours. In Vancouver. So you live in this house and I live here, too? And my clothes are here. How long have I been living here? 24 years. And you live here too? So you won’t be going home tonight cuz you live here. And we’re not shacking up because we’re married. Where did you say Valerie is at? I guess she doesn’t exist anymore. You’re Pookie. Valerie is Pookie. Well I like both of you. Are we married? How long have we been married? 35 years. Wow! When did I start going cookoo? 

What happened to that other lady that was here? Did she go to work? What lady? I must be thinking about another night? What time do we feed the dogs? About 7? Yep. We’ve been in this house a long time, haven’t we? Yep. How long? 24 years. Wow. It should about be paid for. How many more days do we have here? As many as we want? It’s relaxing. I like it. Do we rent this out? No. Don’t we have another house in the city? I could be wrong. I find myself being confused occasionally. This home feels homey to me.

Comments

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

PookieBlue,, conversation is quite familiar….. to one that plays out in my house. :-)

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I remember these conversations well, except DW would not believe we live in the house, always wanted to go home & would try to escape.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

We stlll have these circular conversations, even though my partner is in memory care now. It's so sad. You captured the character of them very well. The content varies from couple to couple, but the repetitiveness is stunning when you stop to think about it.

• SC2SUNSHINE
    SC2SUNSHINE Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

So True.... I'm just beginning to have these conversations throughout the day. 🥲 Yes, I try to find Humor everyday...all day.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

When I was still figuring out that anything really was going on with my DH I would give some really snarky replies. He'd ask about his keeping up with things around the house, I would respond with yes, you are keeping up with the remote pretty well. 😂 Since I finally figured out that the brain is broken, I've quit with those type answers, but I still think some of them in my head.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more