Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I saw DW today......

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

DW was in bed but dressed and clean I brought ice cream and muffins. no response when I touched her or talked to her. It is simply so hard to compare the "person" in front of me with the wonderful, talented, brilliant, caring, loving woman I married and who lives on in my mind.

How was I ever so smart to realize in 1971 at the age of 20 that I had found a pearl beyond price? She was a badly dressed math major with no interest in me, or frankly any guys. A loner. But her mind was powerful and her ambition consuming. I was endlessly patient and persisted. She became my life. And she made me a better person.

I've been on this road 13 years. I ve grown old with this disease. I am still trying to do the creative work she so appreciated. I try to have joy in my life. Grandchildren are the best.

But each day I just have to put one foot in front of the other

Nice picture she took 5 years into Alzheimer's

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Crushed - her photo is beautiful.

This is such a long, hard journey. Thinking of you.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Crushed, your love and love story is for the ages!

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That's a great picture once in a lifetime. My dw is about 13 years into this as well. She still recognizes me not the relationship though. Happy Easter

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Wow! What a beautiful picture. It's a cheetah, right? So glad you both got to have the experience of seeing such an amazing creature.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Crushed. You and your wife have shared a love and a life that is what the greatest poets, artists and musicians attempt to communicate through their creativity. I am always amazed by your story.

You inspired me to survive as a caregiver. So far, I have.

My dementia journey with DH was much shorter than your current journey. In years, my journey has been minute but I feel that I have aged several lifetimes. And my heart has been repeatedly broken by this terrible disease.

Blessings to you and your loved ones.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Crushed, the picture is beautiful! And your love for your wife is beautiful. Through your descriptions of her, I can see her through your eyes as the strong, beautiful, talented woman she has been. You are a devoted and wonderful husband and caregiver. I wish things were easier.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I was going through an old and mildewed carry on suitcase prior to throwing it out. I checked inside in and in a pocket I found a what DW called a "bedroom set" This was bright red underwear only suitable for wearing in the bedroom!😍 It dated to the late 1990's when our children had their own rooms on a trip🤪

those were the days my friend..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more