Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another Day

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Did you finish the 5 day program by "Careblazers"? I'm pretty sure that's the same one I took before, and I thought it was great. Just wondering what your thoughts were on it?

Comments

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, thank you for the heads up about the Careblazers program. It sounds really good. I haven't looked into it yet. You might have already said elsewhere, but if you have a minute or are so inclined, I'd be interested in hearing more about ... what are a few examples of things that you found beneficial and why? Thanks! ~Helen

• Ed1937
    edited April 2023

Hi Helen. The whole point of the program is training yourself to think in a completely different way. I didn't take the course this time, but it's the same one I took a year or two ago. She explains that every day, roughly 50 percent of the things that happen are positive, and the other 50 percent are negative. When you're in the caregiving world, you probably don't think of much positive at all happening in your day. You have to look for it. She also explains why things seem so negative, saying that the brain is programmed into looking for the negative in things, and that makes it so easy to see the negativity. But she gives you examples on how you can train your brain into looking for the positive aspects of things. It's been a while since I took the class, so if anyone else took it, and you see something wrong with what I'm saying, please let it be known.

P.S. She also asks if you would want to be happy all of the time. Of course you would ......................NOT! If your house burned down, you wouldn't want to feel happy about it. If a loved one died, you would not want to feel happy about it. You need to feel pain so you can enjoy the positives. There is so much more to the course, and how to change your thinking. The title for one day's class was something like "Your brain is a bully". And she explains it very well.

This course was a free 5 day course, and I know it has now been offered at least twice. She also has pay for classes, and she talks about that too, but promoting those classes seemed to me to be a small price to pay for what you get free of charge.

Another edit: I just found out that the videos are still available, but not sure for how long they will be. https://www.dementiacareclass.com/product-launch-sales-page1678202696592?utm_campaign=The+Problem+With+Most+Dementia+%22Tips%22+-+5639776&utm_medium=email&utm_source=convertkit  

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Ed, I took the free five day Careblazers program and found it very helpful. Dr. Natalie called it psychology 101 and that is a good name for it. I was a psych major and it jogged my memory and helped me to understand her ideas. Basically, she said that when we change our thoughts about a situation, it changes our emotions which leads to a change in our response to the situation. She also asked each person to answer the question, "Why am I doing this?"...meaning why am I taking care of my loved one. There was a lot of good information and I would recommend it to anyone taking care of someone with dementia. Thank you for telling us about it.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Where do you find this FREE 5 day course? I found the one, was an hour and a half long. The information was very helpful, but it was also an infomercial, she wanted $600 for a "membership." I didn't sign up for that.

• Ed1937
    edited April 2023

I have no idea what happened, but I wrote a fairly long post last night, replying to this thread, and this morning it is gone! I know it posted because I saw it.

Anyhow, without writing the whole thing again, I'll just say that if you subscribe to her youtube videos, and watch them, you will find out when the freebies are coming. If you get on her email list, you will receive an email letting you know about them. Yes, there is probably a bit of promoting her "pay for" courses incorporated into the freebies, but I think it is worth watching because of what you get out of it. There was one of her freebies that I felt was nothing more than a promotion for her, but that's the only one I found like that. If I see something like that, I let it be known here.

I don't know how long this video will be available, but it is now. It is worth watching. It's Day 1 of the 5 day series. I don't think the other 4 days are available, but I could be wrong. https://www.dementiacareclass.com/product-launch-sales-page1646772804281  This is a 24 minute video.

Her videos are all about how to change the way we think, and it is explained very well.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks Ed, I'll try this link. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in posting these things for us. The good Lord knows we need all the help we can get. I like her videos, Tepa's too.

Oh, could you have saved the other to drafts?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more