Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A Day in the Life

I wish I could record some of our conversations. It's like "Who's on first" around here. Have to chuckle.

Mike: (running into the bedroom where I’m getting dressed) TEE TEE TEE!

Me: TEE TEE??

Mike: TEE TEE TEE!

Me: PEE PEE? (he says this a lot when he has to pee)

Mike: TEE TEE TEE! (he often says things three times)

Me: TV?

Mike: Oh! TV TV TV!

Me: TV? Is it not working? (he’s always pushing buttons that mess with electronics….)

Mike: YES!

Me: HMM, it’s not working.

Mike: NO!

Me: It’s working?

Mike: YES!

Me: Oh good, it’s working.

Mike: NO!

So I go out to the living room to see what’s going on and he points to the phone that is plugged into the wall by the TEE TEE TEE. I had been looking for the phone because he always moves it around and he wanted me to know that he found it.

The thing is, he doesn’t usually get frustrated about his lack of vocabulary. He’s often smiling, especially when he's trying to help me, like finding the phone. That’s a blessing.

Comments

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Circular conversations. Just have to find humor wherever you can.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Lhuerta, you captured your exchange with Mike so well, I could imagine it in my head and see it on a screen. It's so good you can see the humor. Thanks for sharing it with us and expanding our lives. I'd like to read more episodes in your "Who's On First?" book. They are like skits that give us a glimpse into your world, and your loved one's. The sensitivity of your listening to Mike, and staying with him until you "get it," is full of poignancy to me; a snapshot of loving kindness and the special connection you share.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sounds like my house! Just trying to figure out what he’s trying to say and he seldom gets upset when I can’t. He will just shake his hands. But I keep trying and most times I can get it, but not always. I know it has to be hard for them. But like you sometimes you just have to smile! Best of luck to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more